Tire liners for road bikes?

You are killing it as well and I look more at the hours and active days as mileage varies so much.

1 Like

Yeah, but he probably could have ridden 25k miles in the same time without them. :crazy_face::crazy_face:

I don’t remember where I saw it back in the day, but some mag ran some tests and tire liners were a HUGE energy suck.

I’ve got a buddy who knocked out 25k+ miles last year, too….rides ~2 hours in the AM, again in the afternoon and then long miles on the weekend. A lot of it is on Zwift during the winter / cold months, so there is some mileage boost from that, but still a crap tone of miles!

Bicycle rolling resistance tested the vittoria airliners and basically found no difference in rolling resistance, they also weigh less than 30g for a pair. The only downside to running them really is that they are a huge pain to install/remove (I broke 3 tire levers the first time, luckily on the 2nd wheel only)

1 Like

Those aren’t the same thing as Mr. Tuffys. Completely different concept.

Mr. Tuffys are a additional layer you put in between your tire and tube to prevent punctures.

1 Like

Yes but regarding the speed thing it is mostly irrelevant. He is faster than most 40yo being 51 and can just ride. Last year when was with him on summer break he did 14 days straight of 100 milers clocking in just above 5 hours per. Just an animal.

Edit: And yes that picture is what I am referring to which is what we have. And it is a crap ton of miles.

oh yeah, these would add a significant amount of rolling resistance, these would basically turn your fast and expensive gp5000s into cheap gator hardshells but not the vittoria airliners

1 Like

If speed is irrelevant (not sure I will ever be able to quite agree with this!) did you look at just running more puncture resistant tyres? E.g. I ran Schwalbe Marathons on my commuter bike, used to get about 10,000 flat-free miles on them on roads with terrible debris (central London). Normally had to change them not because of punctures but because they were squared off and cornering was getting hard!

Would seem to be both cheaper and less hassle to install than running tyres and liners.

3 Likes

Reading the review of BRR has me hesitant to try the airliners. If I flat, i can replace a tube in just a couple minutes. The thought of needing to cut off a tire is not convincing. If a flat is going to be that inconvenient, why not tubulars?

You won’t need to do a roadside repair with the vittoria airliners. They will not let air out of a hole as big as a tubeless valve (don’t be like me and find this out the hard way and use the special tubeless valves from the kit from vittoria)

1 Like

Irrelevant as he is not racing nor am I and plenty fast to ride with most local A groups. I though am riding for enjoyment mainly which is the reason for my comment.

He has run gatorskins and now does the gp5000 with mr tuffy. Yes there are some watts to be saved but it is not that important personally. To each their own though and the fastest guy I know can smoke most people and he rides a steel bike.

2 Likes

When you’re at the lower end of the chart (size S, 23 or 24 mm tire, 15 - 17 mm rim), we’re quite sure you also don’t need the toolkit as it won’t help to get the tire off; it can only be removed by cutting the tire off with wire cutters.

I would suggest that this applies to very few people running tubeless. If you are running tubeless with this specifications, you are not getting much, if any benefit fro: the system.

That said, I was forced to rent a bike this week while on a business trip…flatted on my ride yesterday and I have to admit it was nice to just quickly swap out a tube and be on my way. I was stopped for maybe 3 minutes before I got rolling again.

(Admittedly, a tubeless system would have likely sealed the puncture immediately and possibly without me ever noticing)

1 Like