Tinnitus cure...?

Crickey, when I signed up to TrainerRoad, I did not expect it to be so helpful in the wider sense and discussion that this forum provides. (@iMatt66)

Thanks all.

3 Likes

University of Michigan was doing a tinnitus trial that used a combination of audio and neural stimulation to control and reverse the effects. Specially timed signals ease tinnitus symptoms in test aimed at condition’s root cause | University of Michigan News

2 Likes

Mine got better when I had my ear operated on. I understand I was fortunate in that regard, a lot of people have the opposite happen. I am pretty sure that inflammation makes it worse. For example, drinking a lot will result in worse tinnitus the next day. It makes sense to avoid inflammation anyway. It has never bothered me a lot, but if they really could reduce it that would be great

2 Likes

I’ve had tinnitus for almost 10 years now and agree with what @iMatt66 said. It never really gets better, you just kind of notice it less and less. I notice it now as I type, because I’m consciously thinking about, but most of my day it’s blocked out. I do have the same problem as coach Chad, though. Nights are the worst. Earplugs aren’t that great of an option because I become hyper focused on the ringing. And I can say I’ve had sleeping problems of some sort for almost the entire time I’ve had tinnitus unfortunately. I sleep with a noise maker now, seems to help a little by keeping my mind off the ringing, Stress definitely makes it worse for me. The only solace is a small disability payment I get from the VA (mine was military related). It’s not much, but more than most people that suffer from tinnitus.

1 Like

I’ve had tinnitus caused by another medical issue starting when I was around 10, so close to 20 years. I know what causes it and the ringing in my ears can drift down towards zero but it’s typically pretty constant.

I’ve found that a couple things that have already been mentioned are super helpful:

• Go in for hearing checks if you’ve been dealing with tinnitus for a while. You will want to sort out if you have any actual hearing loss or if you are struggling to hear things over the tinnitus.

• yoga / meditation–for me the goal is to find some stillness–others have references getting used to the tinnitus and this is the same idea for me. I also use it to work on my balance. Tinnitus can be annoying but remember that inner-ear issues may also affect your balance.

• It is very difficult for me to sleep without a fan or white noise machine.

• I’ve completely cut out coffee and don’t drink much alcohol–especially not in one sitting. I have other diet restrictions that are important to me that I won’t get into too much because it’s more tied to my personal situation, but I will say that the suggestion on the recent pod to consume 1500mg of sodium at once will never work for me.

2 Likes

yes doing exercise and eating healthy is always a great way to get relief in tinnitus. i have been going through it and i always feel like lowering coffee and alcohol intake helped me. i have recently read sonnus complete reviews and it also tells me to keep your diet natural and stop consuming processed food would also make you feel better.

Hi, it’s been a year! Whoa!. In Dec/Jan, I went to Mexico for a couple of weeks. And I ‘detoxed’ off coffee for that, went thru the usual headaches. My tinnitus took a few days to calm down after the flight but I did perceive it to be ‘quieter’.

And recently I’ve found that during these crazy times, where my coffee intake has returned to the normal 2 cups per day, the tinnitus is indeed more exaggerated after my 2nd cup of coffee.

Not sure I’m prepared to give it up though :slight_smile:

Just saw this posted and will start reading. Probably with a mug of coffee.
https://examine.com/nerd/article/can-supplementation-help-silence-tinnitus/

Seriously? I never thought about the connection.

Similar to the treatment I posted before, this Europe based company is providing treatments. Currently only in Europe and not inexpensive though, I think I saw it was ~2500 euros and is administered through a clinic, not an over the counter thing. https://www.lenire.com/