Time invested training doesn't yield proportional performance, drop hours?

Biggest jump so far has been after first 4 weeks of SusPBHV. I’m just finishing up week 5 of Build. I’m already at a lifetime PR (320 FTP) and last year’s peak was 318. So I’d be surprised if I have much more to grow this year but we’ll see. After Build I have 5 weeks of SSBHV2 before my first race, which is a 100 mile Ultra. I’m doing five 100 mile Ultra’s this year along with 5 XC races. I’ll be slowly growing that Sunday ride as I’m currently at 3 hour z2 on the trainer. I’m just letting AT do it’s thing but it’s been pretty conservative with the ramp rate, so I find I’m picking harder workout Alternates regularly.

2 Likes

What’s your weight?. I’ve watched a couple of your videos at random. I enjoyed them. You seem to have distinct advantage descending….

1 Like

I’m 177 lbs / 80kg, given the day that may fluctuate up a few pounds. I’m a little heavier this year, last year I was more around 172-175 lbs. Not sure why I’m a few pounds heavier and I’m trying to keep reminding myself those few pounds don’t matter if FTP is rising. Yeah, I’ve always been a bit faster descending than my competition for some reason. I know I take a bit more risk than most, so maybe that’s part of it.

Not much to add but if you’re counting ski mountaineering in that 20h that isn’t going to be 1:1 with cycling - obviously it’s good for general fitness and probably loads more fun that just doing 20h cycling but you can’t expect the exact same benefits to doing it on the bike.

The only other thing I would say is that if you’re not getting paid to do it and it is not fun, don’t do it (cos why?).

2 Likes

@enric97 some more thoughts from looking at your history…

• Most weeks you are doing solid rides 6 days a week. Try having one super-easy day each week that is Z1 only, plus your rest day.

• All those 1 to 2.5h endurance rides might not be providing much of a stimulus. Instead see if there is some way you can do one longer ride mid week, as well as the weekend.

1 Like

What do your weeks looks like, what do your months look like? How many days rest are you having? Maybe the missing ingredient is recovery,

I also say that the fitness from volume is a slow burn gain as in multi seasonal. It takes time to arrive but is long lasting, not brittle fitness here today gone tomorrow.