Threshold power with endurance HR?

Is it common to have these not match up? Did a threshold work out and my HR never left endurance except it barely made it into tempo at the very end of my last interval. Both feel right, my legs feel thresholds but my breathing doesn’t.

This happens to me when I’m pretty overcooked/under-recovered. IE not the day to do intervals

4 Likes

HR is such a fickle thing it could be a sign you’re getting fitter and need to re-assess your FTP but it could also be a sign that you’re coming down with something or are slightly worn out/ overtrained.

3 Likes

I looked a few months back and it looks like I’ve always been like this.

You may want to verify that your heart rate zones are set correctly.

1 Like

This can happen for a variety of reasons. When I did my best 7-minute power last year, 117 % of FTP, my average heart rate was 159, and I wasn’t even at my limit. This heart rate was typical for sweet spot and threshold work at the time.

So I wouldn’t worry too much about heart rate, if you can nail your power targets, feel good before, during and after the workout, I don’t think there is much to worry about. Only when strange heart rate coincides with signs of fatigue I’d perk my ears and back down.

1 Like

I’m seeing this happen now. Really weird, I did the ramp test two weeks ago and hit my Max HR (just before failure). But since then I’ve been doing the Short Power Build and haven’t hit threshold yet. The workouts aren’t too easy, I just seem to be limited by muscular endurance rather than cardio fitness. I still hit high HRs outside.

1 Like