Things I wish I knew before I started training indoors

Agree. Nothing better to kill bacteria than alcohol. I use alcohol wipes before and after all rides. Also great for rides where you can’t shower directly after.

2 Likes

My experience is that a cool room (e.g. garage) and/or a powerful fan can improve power output by around 10%, so make sure you have ventilation of some sort.

Video entertainment is ok for low intensity rides, but as mentioned above, I too have a tendency to more easily quit a hard workout if I am watching Netflix or Youtube rather than listening to music in the dark.

Good playlists on Spotify/iTunes/etc work well, especially with hard interval sessions. For old school 20 minute FTP tests, I have compiled my own playlist that matches the workout.

Good audio-/video equipment also helps; a good speaker or headphones (Bose Soundsport Wireless are my favourite) and a decent screen to display TR or some chosen entertainment improves perceived quality of life. (Good music deserves better output than standard earbuds can provide, anyway.)

And of course, a mat underneath the bike/trainer, a sweat cover and quality bibs are necessary.

1 Like

I wish I had known how well it works. It’s a terrible spiral. You add good structure to your training, you get faster. Being faster is addictive, so you train more, eat better, get even faster. Now that you’re even faster you win races. Winning feels good, so you train more to get faster, then you win more, then you get forced to cat up. Then you’re not the fast guy /gal anymore and you start the whole thing over again. :wink:

12 Likes

Lots of great suggestions.

A couple more:

Cold brew coffee in a thermos. Perfect for morning workouts and I’ll often drink this for the first hour.

UFC events where you can buzz through fillers between fights are perfect for 1.5 - 2.0 hour workouts.

High quality bibs. Ultra-light sweat wicking top. Summer base layers work well.

+1 on fans. Wahoo Headwind is powerful enough that no sweat drips on my bike.

2 Likes

This, I had massive saddle sores only to find out that my bike was slightly tilted to the side. Sorted it our with a wee wedge, now I can ride in “comfort”.

Also get a fan!

3 Likes

+1 Headbands

3 Likes

That if you complete a workout at 95% intensity… then you completed the workout, and that’s what matters more. Over stretching at the beginning by leaving the dial at 100%, then dying and not finishing, is counterproductive.

Goes 2x for VO2max workouts.

14 Likes

I know this and still struggle with it. Good advice!

What is the device called / remote ? that can turn on and off fans from the bike?

thanks james
www.buckyrides.com

@jbucky1 see if this is what you’re looking for.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=outlet+remote&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Multiple fans plugged into a remote-control outlet is a great move. I have 3 fans (2 floor 1 head level) and all will come on at the push of a button. My setup is in a cool basement, which is great for cooling but makes me not want airflow until after the warmup.

I picked up this adjustable desk from Amazon, it’s been great and way cheaper than the dedicated versions from Wahoo et al. Entertainment goes on the front shelf, fan goes on the back:

BarleyHome Mobile Stand Up Desk, Adjustable Laptop Desk with Wheels Storage Desk Home Office Workstation, Rolling Table Laptop Cart for Standing or Sitting, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PGY9XMW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_ijZgEbHB5D7HX

4 Likes

In addition to alcohol wipes, I’d add that a surgical scrub like Hibiclens really helps knock down the bacteria

Compliance and successful completion of workouts is only one aspect.

A dialled in diet and appropriate rest is essential to max out adaptations.

Lose weight or build power, choose one and execute with focus

1 Like

Lots and lots of people have managed to lose weight and gain power. It’s not as exclusive as you make it out to be.

4 Likes

That desk looks like a great option. Is it pretty sturdy? Would it support an older flat screen (heavier than current flatscreens) on the back shelf and not be too tippy? Also thinking a tilting box fan on the back lower shelf would be a nice portable solution to trainer area organization. Thanks for posting the link!

its noisy, and takes a lot of space, but in the spring you feel stronger

Woah! I’m going to try that. Such a simple thing… Point is, I can’t go from sleep directly to the bike, need some time/coffee to get going - but then time’s running always short before work…
Thanks!

If you want to take it to the next level:

I use an Aeropress (https://aeropress.com/) which makes concentrated coffee. Because it filters so well you can make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge and it will still taste fresh. I’ll make a couple shots ahead of time and just pour hot water in the mug. Ready in the time it takes to boil a mug of water.

5 Likes

Have an Aeropress too, will try that :smile:.

1 Like