The theoretics of Zone 2 riding

I have done 5x4h indoors in a week couple times (years ago tho) so not really a problem for me. And i do 3h or more regularly indoors. I don’t usually do two sessions, but when i have done the first one is more like z3/z4 and the last is z2. This time of the year i have to increase volume and sometimes i just get bored during those long sessions…

do you remember the episodes?

Yes, assuming that’s the average over the whole hour, not the peak.

Also, LTHR won’t change all that much from year to year (like max). When it does it will go down little by little.

It’s a good way to cross-check your threshold power.

1 Like

Ok so more like what TR talks about here:

Just to be clear (not argumentative) I’m not talking about this approach with my response above. You’re talking about treating the second ride as a “recovery” ride from an earlier interval session.

David, would it be possible for this threshold HR data be exposed/accessible somewhere else in the interface, in case we miss seeing it at at the time of the ride, or just want to view it again without scrolling through lots of past data to find it again? eg. expose an historic list of such threshold HR events in the /settings page (or somewhere)? Or is there no history table of the data to do that from?

I am impressed by your ability to discern the biochemical adaptations responsible for your improved performance without making any actual measurements. :wink:

I’m impressed by your consistent desire to pick on members over technicalities. Are you in charge of maintaining the scientific accuracy of the forum?

4 Likes

There is history of that data. I have an outstanding todo list item to make achievements like that visible on the /fitness page which I think would work for your use-case.

4 Likes

Just doing my best to prevent people from being fooled by comments such as CHO1’s. That is, unless you truly believe it is possible to determine how much fat you are oxidizing or lactate you are clearing simply by feel?

1 Like

You don’t need testing to determine the above, but all you got out of that post was some opportunity to try snd flex on the poster because of something else. Bravo, I guess, :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Mechanistically, CHO1 credited his improved performance to increased fat utilization and better lactate clearance. He could be right, or he could be wrong, but without actually measuring such things, it isn’t possible to draw such conclusions. By doing so, all he has done is reinforce the echo chamber effect common to this and many other forums (but perhaps you prefer more of a “I’m ok, you’re ok” vibe, where critical thinking is discouraged just so everyone gets along?).

3 Likes

I don’t see where he credited the latter to the former, that’s a comma, not a colon. But by all means continue whatever contributions you think you’re making

2 Likes

Increased fat utilization and improved lactate clearance are the only performance-enhancing mechanisms that he mentioned. Being able to see your veins pop out because you’re leaner might (or might not) be visually-appealing, but it doesn’t make you “able to operate at threshold for a lot longer”.

He didn’t say seeing more veins let’s him operate at threshold a lot longer, you did. I see you enjoy digging holes

2 Likes

No, I did not. You’re the one who highlighted those words, not me.

This forum has strange impact. I did 4 hours on trainer yesterday…

6 Likes

Any hits yet on your ‘Bike Trainer for Sale!’ Craigslist ad? :thinking: