The Short Course Triathlon Thread

Opened up the calendar this morning and there were some run adaptations! It was slightly frustrating because I couldnt actually see what the workouts were adapting to and after I have accepted them it just seems to have moved things around. So tomorrow I was supposed to have a 10x1min run interval workout, that is now randomly moved to Thursday under the heading of “Base Run + Strides” and the “Vo2max Interval” workout for tomorrow is the 6x20/40 that is the Base Run + Strides from Thursday. Needless to say I am about as confused as a confused thing. I will probably just carry on as I was before as I was pretty happy with how the workouts were in the week.

Report it if it’s not too much bother, the more work they do on making the run adaptations make sense, the better for us triathletes :wink:

Email has already gone on to support. I am not backwards in coming forwards to report any Beta issues.

1 Like

I saw the same thing 6 run adaptions. I declined because it didn’t make much sense for me.

Support have said that its a known issue where things are being incorrectly labelled, but I also am not sure that the adaptations are any good, why bother having exactly the same workout but on a different day?

I would like to see the ability to push run/swim workouts to my Gamin calendar before anything else. At least that way I dont have to worry about anything, just select the workout and go!

1 Like

A quick race report of a different kind. My daughters (6 and 10) just finished their 6 weeks triathlon camp and had their race yesterday. This was the 3rd time (4th race) for my 10, and first for my 6 who loves the pool but refuses to go in open water. Age groups were 5-7, 8-10 and 11-13. The venue is always gorgeous at Fort Adams in Newport, RI. Great weather. Total of 150 kids races for the Race4Chase Foundation.

The course for them is ‘roughly’ 50 yd swim, 1.8 mile ride and .65 mile run. My 6 yo. did the swim (proud dad here) in 2:06, the bike in 15:46 and the run in 5:00, total 22:51! She was 5/12 F and 10/19 overall.

My speedy 10 yo did the swim in 1:26, bike in 11:05 and run in 4:32, total 17:02. Finished 1st in AG (of 28) and 5th overall (of 64). Her record now stands at 3x 1st and 1x 2nd. After the race she said she want to got to the Olympics for triathlon and asked if we can do a 4 mile race in October…I am in trouble if I need to keep up with her!

11 Likes

Bugger.

2 Likes

When I am dismounting I always take my right leg over the saddle and then hit the ground with it first. This came about because I run with my bike in my right hand and it puts me on the correct side of the bike for that. However its always felt a little more awkward than I would like so when doing some transition practice today I jumped off the other side. Oh My God! What a difference. felt completely natural and I was able to do it at a much higher speed than I ever have been the other way. Looks like I am going to have to learn to run with the bike in my left hand now.

In other news, this weekend marks the start of my “4 events in 4 weeks”. With the Relays this weekend, club Sprint Event (currently we cant use our lake for swimming so its down as a duathlon but they are hoping for that day to be the first swim back in which case it will revert to a triathlon), club hill climb and then Duathlon A Race.

My triathlon season has ended. I raced short course 6 times and long course (a 70.3) once.

We have this bizarre invention in Poland (as well as, as far as I’ve heard, Russia and Belarus) called a 1/4 Ironman. It’s exactly what it sounds like: a 950 meter swim, a 45 km bike and a 10.55k run - just like an Olympic distance race, but with less swimming, noticeably more cycling and a tad more running.

After a very stagnant 2020, my PB in a 1/4 went from 2:25 to 2:16 this year (on a properly measured course) as I averaged 24 mph / 39 kph on the bike and managed to hang on to my goal of 7’ per mile (4:20 per k) on the run. I also set a 1:14 sprint PB (I hadn’t raced many sprints before). Glad to say I place in the top 10-15% of my age group in most short course races. As I’ve said before, it happened based on an easier and more enjoyable training plan by @MikaelEriksson / @Mikael_Eriksson.

The half distance race in Samorin didn’t go badly (4:57 on a day with very difficult swimming conditions and a windy bike), but it clearly confirmed my hunch that I was more of a short course beast.

I won’t be doing any 70.3s next season. It’s all about the short course, baby. The Olympic PB of 2:31 needs to shed a quarter of an hour.

The season is not over, however. I’ll be riding 45 km in a relay in 3 weeks in one of the larger local races, and having a competent swimmer and runner we’re thinking about climbing on the podium. This means I’m going back to Trainerroad’s plans, but this time it’s the 40k TT cycling plan with two scary threshold workouts a week (the algo has marked them “Breakthrough” - breaking through twice a week is a bit rich?), and a tempo / sweet spot session. Can’t wait to see how adaptive training adapts the plan later on.

7 Likes

Still a good effort on the 70.3! As a short course person (and I mean REALLY short course, Super Sprints are so much fun, Sprints are my jam and an Olympic seems like an awful lot of work to me) I did 1 half distance once and my race went swim: yeah this is fine, bike: 60km yeah this is fine 30kms of I am bored now I want to get off run: really not enjoying this and cant be bothered might just stroll it in for a just short of 6 hour finish. So I take my hat off to your sub 5!

2 Likes

Thanks. Not my first sub-5, and I was planning to go under 4:50, but I forgave myself (especially that it was still a PB). The start of the run did feel good - I had been dreaming of getting off the bike for like an hour. It was the first time in 37 triathlons that I had an OK run off a disappointing bike. To rescue my morale in T2, I had to remind myself of all the PROs who had reported running well after having no legs on the bike, like Sanders and Kienle.

1 Like

Anyone here racing Blenheim Palace (UK) next weekend? I got a last-minute place for the Sprint distance on Sunday, decided to go ahead and give my first Triathlon a go!

3 Likes

That was my very first tri in 2011!

Beautiful location and a pretty big event as I recall.

Nice lake swim, rolling bike that was a little narrow (so was for slower riders from earlier waves), and a slightly long 5k.

Enjoy!

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m pretty excited! Fingers crossed the weather is as warm as predicted!

Just spotted this…

I have been away from the forum in a bit, but nice work @kajet ! I am finally wrapping up the taper for my Sprint race on Sunday - only took a year. I have been doing the TR sprint LV. My A goal is to podium in my age group (40-44). Based on 2019 results I definately have a shot at it, even winning it. Overall is just too far due to my slow running. Weather is being forecast to be quite windy (at least the tailwind will be on the way up 250ft :), but comfortable temps. And to boot I just signed up for the USAT Olympic Aquabike National Championships on the 25th, see what I did there - signed up without the run!

2 Likes

As a local I know this area well. I think their description of the bike course using words like industrial heritage and countryside might be seeing expectations a little high!

Sounds like descriptions used for houses up for sale…

1 Like

One of my favourite races. the 2019 race was interesting due to a shortened course. 1500 people all crammed on to a 5k long technical bike course. No fault of the organisers and frankly they did an amazing job to even get the races on.

1 Like

Interesting - maybe one for me to consider for 2022. Also thinking about Outlaw, but TBC.

1 Like