The Short Course Triathlon Thread

Nice result @JoeX Looks like some solid times and really quick transitions!

Good luck out there @kajet and hope you have a great time. Welcome back to racing!

2 Likes

Had a sprint two weeks ago.

-Swim (500m) wasn’t great with rough waters and the pace is tad slower than I wanted but okay with it.
-T1 has a pretty decent run to it, so longer than most
-Bike (14miles), the wind beat me up pretty bad. I am a smaller athlete so great for climbing but flat out laying down power on a windy course had me getting passed by a few people. Same course the year before I rode almost 2 minutes faster and I am a far better cyclist now then I was back then. Just a hard day with the wind.
-T2 was quick and efficient
-Run (5k) was okay. I normally run low 18s. The wind beat up everyone on the bike which I assume left plenty of us with cooked legs. I passed a bunch and actually took the W.

Quick side note. Two guys that passed me on the bike were taking turns pulling and drafting. Sorta pissed me off to see it and knew I was not going to be catching them. However those exact two people missed the turn around on the run and ran an extra 100-200m which was enough for me to run them down even with my slow 5k. Karma takes the win.

|Split|Time|Place|
| — | — | — | — |
|Swim|6:29.3|3|
|T1|2:32.2|||
|Bike|37:25.7|11|
|T2|0:23.7|||
|Run|19:49.3|1|

5 Likes

Good luck @kajet and well done @GOliveria for the result and dishing out the karma. I cannot stand 2TT and in a sprint that is just outrageous.

Awesome race!

Having watch issues is the most disappointing thing to me. I love dissecting every part of the race and this has happened to me before and I was really upset afterwards.

2 Likes

At 23 seconds this is the understatement of the century! Absolutely phenomenal time!

1 Like

Well Done!

Just curious what everyone’s total volume (hours or TSS) look like for short course activity.

As a mostly sprint distance racer, I average around 8-9 a week.

I’m at 9h19m per week since week 1, 2021.

1 Like

Yuck, only averaging 7.5 hours a week since Jan 1, though my volume was way way down during XC ski season and then built up slowly in March/April. Still for the last 3 months I’m averaging around 11.

I generally shoot for between 12 - 15 depending on the week and I’m concentrating on Oly.

1 Like

4-5 hours…

2 Likes

4-5 here too. Peaking around 7/8

2 Likes

Being sprint distance I figured marginal gainz and mere seconds really do count:

• Sockless bike and run
  • my old time trial helmet Giro Advantage 2

Things I can’t really do at long course. As it was rolling starts it wasn’t until I saw the results sheet that I saw the three guys behind me were only 2s, 7s and 15s back

1 Like

I’d just last month bought the Forerunner 45+ for running. Using the AW for swim. Now I’m not sure whether to buy the Forerunner 55 which now does pool swimming, another Apple or a bigger Forerunner.:man_shrugging:t2:

Hi All

I have signed up for the Box End Standard (Olympic) for this weekend as a warmup to Holkham Half in two weeks. This will be my first tri racing with power and wanted your experience on what screens you use or alerts on the bike portion to keep you on target?

1 Like

I am still using a 920XT but like the look of the Apple Watch with the swim smooth integration as my swimming sucks. Not sure how the battery is for longer events though or how good the gps is for runs.

1 Like

GPS is good for run and swim, you’ll want a bike computer for long course events though.

I have five fields.

Actionable info:
3s Power
BBS Power (target power only used for long course)
Distance

Reassuring info:
Time of Day
HR

I should probably change time of day to time elapsed or something

thanks. do you set a power target for olympics or go off feel?

Well I havent raced Olympic for a few years but my next is in ten days and like a Zwift TT or hour power test I will aim to keep my power above a certain level.

So next Sunday I will aim for 280W try to make sure my power never drops below 260W (apart from dead turns and as it’s a flattish course) and hope that comes out as an NP of 270.

This is my B race and I’m essentially aiming to replicate the hardest I’ve ever done indoors, outdoors. Then see how much I can run afterwards. That should allow me to refine my strategy for my A race in August.

2 Likes

I race only short course and really prefer sprints to olys even. Now that I am not able to run anymore (post tib dysfunction) I do sprint aqua bikes - pretty much a time trial out of a swim - OMG IS IT FUN!!! It’s quite nice to only have to focus on two sports and I find improving my swim one heckuva project!

4 Likes