So, I am putting this here to just write and have some accountability for my goals and for us mere mortals that are not reaching 5 w/kg share our journeys.
My objective is to improve my overall health and try to reach 4 w/kg by the end of 2024, while improving my bike handling skills along the way.
So, some background I just finished the first complete year of structure training since around 2010. Started doing indoor rides in 2021, but with an old orange Tacx Flow that has poor power accuracy and repeatability.
In January, I purchased a KICKR core, changed my diet, and continued intermittent fasting, and I lost 7 kg (from 82 to 74). I am 39 years old and 1.90 meters tall. My “new” FTP in the ramp test using the KICKR was 166 in January and ended around 223 before getting sick in October and November. So I started with 2 wt/kg and worked my way up to 3 wt/kg. I finished the year doing the festive 500 for the first time.
Challenges during 2022:
- Because I have small children, I ride mostly indoors, either early in the morning or late at night. So my average sleep is around 6 hours, which I know is too little to properly recover.
- I love doing IF because of what it does for my focus in the morning at work, but it makes it challenging to properly fuel my workouts. So, I started doing them at night, but it impaired my ability to get to sleep.
- Got sick from COVID and other things that kids brought from kindergarten.
Tools and apps used in 2022:
- TR mid volume plan SSB then 40 km TT
- Intervals for analysis (recommended)
- Garmin Venu 2 plus for health tracking (good but regretting not buying the Epix 2 for the fitness features)
- Veri for CGM for two months. It changed how I eat and what I do after eating, so highly recommended but expensive for continuous use.
- Inside tracker upload plan with three blood samples a year. If you can get the blood work from your insurance or the NHS the upload plan is a good bang for your buck.
- Kickr Core. It’s my first direct drive trainer so I have nothing to compare, but I am very happy with the purchase.
Objectives in 2023
- Reach 3.5 w/kg with 73kg and 255
- Focus on recovery
- Increase sleep duration to at least 8 hours per night and improve sleep quality.
- Schedule at least one skill-focused bike ride every two weeks.
- Participate in the zwift Fondo series to make riding the trainer more fun.
- Start strength training with Dialed Health
New Tools and Apps to use/try in 2023:
- TR mid volume plan SSB base general build and climbing road race
- Try other CGM apps to compare with Veri
- Garmin Rally Power Meter for MTB
- Maybe a Vo2 max test
- How to do IF and workout in the morning that is what I prefer.
- What tools or methods to improve recovery
- Massage Gun
- Compression boots
- Mobility Work
The idea of this thread is to share your journey, comment, ask questions, recommend tools, criticize, encourage, and everything in between.