The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

Pics or it didn’t happen :wink:

3 Likes

The bike shop should be done building it out later this week. I will also be sure to get some pics of my Caad’s “retirement party”

2 Likes

Sounds good, personally I’d put more weight on getting that third run in than the sixth bike. Feel free to ask as much as you like, triathletes love talking about triathlon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just updating the records - what’s the story behind that name? :smiley:

Swimming???

That’s just a way of getting to the Bike :laughing:

1 Like

I also joined the club and bought a real TT/Tri bike. I went with the P2 as well, since I plan on getting a crank based PM, so i didn’t mind getting the basic crank that comes with it. I’ve been fitted and done a few rides on it . No pics yet @JoeX until I get some proper road pedals as right now I’ve just got an old pair of MTB pedals on there. I’m going to try and probably sell my SS to justify it as I don’t ever ride my SS, but right now Ebay looks like it is not that favorable of a seller’s market. I’m definitely going to be trying to get rid of my old gravel bike, but only expecting a few hundred dollars.

1 Like

I would guess because of the climbs on bike leg as it starts at 4300’ altitude and peaks at 6500’ before heading back down.
I’ve ridden the climb from Sparks lake to Mt Bachelor a few times and it’s a beast ( I remember it being classified cat 2 climb but cannot find the reference).

It could also be because bike leg has an extra 2miles for a 72.3 total for half distance tri.

:exploding_head:

1 Like

Anyone else UK based and building towards IM Wales? I’ve entered this which should be a nice little prep race.

4 Likes

I’m not but good luck at the Titan Brecon. I raced it a couple of years ago and it was one of the hardest ‘half’ IM’s I’ve done!

1 Like

Congrats on the P2’s @Michael_Tate and @Bioteknik.
Post pics when ready.

I’ve never done more than 90-mins on my Bike since my IM in August … I’ve just spotted I have Ochoco scheduled for tomorrow :worried:

3 Likes

Looking for everyone’s opinion on increasing swim time versus adding upper body gym time for a noob swimmer. I did swim 15 years ago for a season, but I was never any good. Now I am prepping for my first 70.3.

I started tri training in July of 2019, which is when I started my swim training too. I’ve consistently done the two TR prescribed weekday swims and every other of the long base swims of the mid volume Olympic plan and now the HIM base and build plan. I feel like I keep running into a wall on improvement though (form and upper body strength). I’ve always had a pretty weak upper body (arms, core, and back).

Would it be better to drop the long base swim and add 2 upper body and core weight lifting workouts into my training week until I can afford paying for swim lessons? Or just keep putting in the time on the long “base” swim days in anticipation that the improvement will come?

25yd pace is ~1:15/100yd
100yd pace is ~1:45/100yd
2000yd pace is ~1:55/100yd

1 Like

Do you have a specific IM pace goal that differs a lot from where you are now?
In my n=1 experience I was plateauing in my swim and started deadlifting heavy and my pool times went down a lot.
My 15x100m at 2:00 went from 1:32 average to sub 1:27 in a couple of months without any other training intervention.

1 Like

I feel like you have lower hanging fruit focusing on form rather than muscle strength. On one hand you can add some weekly strength training to your base phase, which is what I do (its really good to do some weights for long course as you need to take a lot of pounding and a durable athlete is a strong athlete) but on the other hand you are going to be limited by your form, regardless of your strength, and the strength will come naturally as you get better at swimming.

Have you watched videos on youtube such as smooth swimming? Theres a ton of good swimming videos out there that can help you focus on parts of your stroke and/or work on drills that will help your overall form.

Personally I would not focus on strength for the swim specifically, but rather add strength training to your overall training. However, I am not a fish so my advice is from my personal opinion only. I am sure your best value/time investment is to get someone to have a look at your swim and give you tips on deck. However, if you can’t afford lessons, have you considered masters swimming? I would never be at the pace I am now without my masters group. While I could definitely pay more for more focused swimming sessions, just getting into the pool and having someone watch me on deck and being accountable with other swimmers who are much faster than I am does wonders for me. I do workouts that I would likely not do alone because I am a little bit*h when it comes to the pool.

2 Likes

How does per 100yd pace differ to 100m for those that swim both?

easy continuous long swims, I swim at 1:55 / 100m or 1:45 / 100yds

1 Like

https://www.swimbikerun.net.nz/Calculators/SwimmingPaceCalculator

This could be quite a complicated question to answer, but short story: swim more.

The ifs and buts would be around overall frequency, skill level, how you do your sessions but for almost everyone who is training for a triathlon, until you are doing three sessions per leg per week, you’re short changing yourself somewhere. Strength and flexibility are great to add to that basic training week.

The good news is that at ~1:45/100yd it’s going to be technique and frequency more than volume, I’d be thinking more like three sessions per week (one technique, one tempo (1:55) intervals and one threshold (1:45) interval session). I used to think the long continuous swims were worthwhile, but they’re not.

1 Like

@tribuddha what % Critical Power do you use for your zones?