The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

So Saturday the 18th I did my own version of the Weymouth 70.3 even though it was cancelled following the official course 99%. It was a very windy start but all in all the weather was good my final time was 5:55. :smiley::smiley:

I was knackered by the end but I am really happy considering this was the first time I have ever done a triathlon in any form.

Swim 37:01
Bike 3:15:46
Run 2:03:34

Not sure what Weymouth are playing at with regards to social distancing even though they cancelled the 70.3 the vast crowds on the beach made the run more like a minefield than anything else but hey next year it will be a clearer run and closed roads which will help my time alot.

5 Likes

not sure how much you sweat or how long you think youll be on the bike but i usually work off just under 1L of fluid per hour on bike, Run would take me 1:45ish and id go for well over a litre of fluid on the run (probs an entire bottle of flat coke and an entire bottle of electrolyte.
60g on the bike might be a bit low if your planning on riding 80-85% of FTP for 2-3 hours. You know your body best but sounds a little like you might be shortchanging yourself for a fairly challenging run course

1 Like

After months and months of building this season and no racing, I have been given a nice reminder it’s really time for an extended recovery period.

Saturday I participated in a “solo” Gran Fondo event, rode with 2 of my friends. Completely buried myself on the last 11 mile segment. Combine that with a late night that evening, It took until today for me to feel good again. Yesterday, logged off of work mid day and took a 2.5hr nap.

Other than a duathlon in 2 weeks, I’m ready to chill for about a month. Among other things, even though I’ve been getting thru workouts, I haven’t really been feeling super well. Will be interesting to see what my physical turns up in a few days.

4 Likes

Yes…agreed…
Forced into recovery the last 2 weeks… (I fucking hope that boston marathon shirt is super nice) has been better than expected.

Hope to get back into the grind next week tho.
I will finish the build phase I am on, then will transition to a run build.
I want to race a sub 18 5k early next year and a sub 38 10k before the spring.

2 Likes

Hey look at that, my spring goals are pretty much aligned with yours! (depending on how my end of the year 5k and 10k time trials come out.) Anything you’re doing specifically to hit those? I still haven’t figured out all the details, but for me in Minnesota it’s going to be spending some time on the treadmill to keep up base while doing XC skiing as well. Not exactly sure how it’s all going to be working.

1 Like

Not really sure yet. I have a friend who will coach me for this (he has coached me for a 1:22 half 2 years ago).
For sure I am not leaving the bike. I will probably transition to 3 days of bike and 5 run (some stand alone and some brick runs for volume) and some swims sprinkle, probably as recovery.

All i know is that it will hurt!

Once i have the planned defined (probably oin 4 to 5 weeks) I will let you know how it looks

1 Like

Hey guys, I’m down for a sub18 challenge too! Not sure about the 38 10k, that sounds unimaginably painful. But after hitting sub19 this season I was considering to build a plan for sub18 for the fun of it. Do you plan on creating a specific plan? If so, what are you looking at?

3 Likes

Lionel Sanders is currently going through a “5K PB” plan and outlining the workouts on his YouTube and Instagram pages if you’re looking for some ideas beyond other stock plans. Maybe wait to see how he does on the PB attempt to see if it’s worthwhile though? :joy:

2 Likes

“I have not done any speed training, just aerobic for 5 months”

Drops a 15:42

:flushed:

3 Likes

Good starting points I would say. On pacing the swim, I usually go out 8-9/10 hoping to join a group and get a good draft, not afraid to go 8/10 all the way if that means staying with a quick group, but won’t push beyond 6-7/10 if I am left time trialing on my own. On the bike 0.8 is reasonably high. I have best results in the space of 0.79-0.82, as a reasonably gifted runner who puts a lot of work into the bike. It sounds like you’re not entirely convinced of your running form, in which case I might even reduce the bike to 0.75 to reduce the suffering in the run. On the run I’d accept a 10/10 for the first k and then try to bring it down to 5-6/10 until I’ve caught my breath and found my legs. I ramp gradually to 8/10 by k16 at which point I convince myself that I can suffer through anything for 5k and dig myself a hole as deep as I can.

1 Like

I hate that guy.

The pride of :canada: baby! :rofl:

Great thanks!

I think I will up everything a bit to be safe.

I’ve only ever ran for like 1:30 continuous and I only took one gel with me so presumed I didn’t need much. But after a swim and bike I will clearly need more.

Just looked at weather forecast you may not be sweating all that much with lows of 6 and highs of 13 C on Sunday!!! :rofl:

I have a tube of Neosporin I picked up in the US and it works like magic for me and saddle sores. Clear up in a day and some pain relief too. Put on before bed.

1 Like

Well done! We did Saturday morning too but backed out the swim as it looked too risky. So much wind. Good time on that course with that wind too.

Let us know the outcome of tapering now. Be interesting to see if you had just hit the limit

1 Like

5k is an aerobic event.
A friend of mine ran 17:3x off of a lot fitz plan for a marathon. 75-90 mpw for a few months

2 Likes

I’ve been pretty happy this year with the BarryP plan and will probably keep doing that going into next year, though I’ll be hitting the ground with a ton of aerobic base from XC Ski season and some treadmill running (maybe 30km/week). March 1 is when I usually transition away from skiing so I’m probably looking at a late April attempt for the 5k and then I’ll maybe do early May for the 10k then.

1 Like

I did similar and had a 1743 5k and 259 marathon.

But we all know bike training doesn’t translate directly to running training. You still need to train the running muscles

1 Like