The Ironman Training 2020 Thread

I have some, but tend not to use them as I land up getting shoulder pain pretty rapidly. At the beginning of the pandemic there was a free stretch cord program on Training Peaks along with instructional videos - you could see if that interests you.

1 Like

I have been using Rouvy as well paired with trainerroad. They run very well.

1 Like

I recommend this one. Helps with holding your hand in right place. Plus all metal parts are covered by plastic so no rusting.

I do my dry land training right before I jump into the pool. Just hook it up to the railings and do 3 sets while I get my gear out and apply shampoo to my goggles and stuff.

The yellow one is the one I have. Plenty of resistance.

1 Like

I use Rouvy. Its great

1 Like

I use Rebok cords. Had them some time. Do 2 sessions per week with them

2 Likes

Same cords. I think they are probably 15 yo or so… still rocking…

I just use them when motivation is 9 or above in a scale of 10… not too proud about it. They are a very valuable piece of gear…

1 Like

tomorrow is my first ramp test since starting the full IM Mid volume plan (and TR in general!)! I feel like I’ve gotten stronger, can’t wait to get the numbers.

thinking I may run a mirror ramp test on Zwift using my Assiomas. That should work, right?

3 Likes

You can do, but do you need to and will dual running distract you from the task at hand? Personally I like everything simple and reliable during an ftp test.

2 Likes

Agree. Dual running an FTP test on Zwift and TR is just asking for issues. Additionally if you end up with two FTP numbers from the two ramp tests, what number do you choose? (Ok yes, tell people the bigger number but train with the smaller number :wink: ) Brings me back to the old proverb of “A man with one watch knows exactly what time it is. A man with two watches has no idea what time it is.”

1 Like

This is getting a bit profound!

1 Like

Thanks so much! I used the first one and it added 30 days to my 14-day trial. 45 days free rocks! Thank you!

1 Like

I hope everyone has a happy Christmas, :santa::mrs_claus: and while the Ironman racing may have been quite muted, this thread has done even better than last year, 50% more posts! :partying_face:

So well done everyone for their contributions, thanks sharing all the support - I know I needed it.

I’m looking at the Calendar and thinking next week is essentially Week 1 of 2021, so I’ll start the new Ironman Training thread on Monday. :slight_smile: It’s like opening a Christmas pressie in itself :smirk:

7 Likes

Merry Christmas all

5 Likes

Has anyone seen @Nate_Pearson and Tim OD in the same room because I’ve got to say there’s a passing resemblance!

2 Likes

Has anyone here experimented with what Friel calls crash weeks? I’m currently looking at my plan for 21 and it dawns on me that I’ll probably struggle to just follow a linear periodization and maintain a high enough load to progress until September. Friel mentions that a few weeks of very high load, either in terms of intensity or total volume, followed up by proper recovery can pay dividends for the time restricted but seasoned athlete.

I’ve never considered training camps, because it is not really an option with job and family. Squeezing in a week at the end of build and peak phase with a few 100s TSS on top however might be realistic for me. I’m wondering if and how people go about planning and structuring the occasional overload week, what’s a typical extra percentage you out on top and what kind of workouts to add the extra stress. Also, what are the implications for the following recovery week and how have your results turned out?

Update:

I’ve deferred until 2022 as baby number two is due a few weeks before race day.

Now playing the long game (and have more time to sort my swim).

2 Likes

Anyone want to join a study on mental toughness and Ironman training?
The requirements arent that difficult. Seems Brent is having trouble finding recruits.

Participate in an Ironman triathlete study on mental toughness that has a training component designed to integrate into your existing coaching program.

Ironman 70.3

If the Ironman 70.3 distance is the primary event you are training for, click the following link or paste it into your browser

70.3 Ironman Triathlete Mental Toughness Research Study: Qualification/Informed Consent/Demographics (Estimated time to complete: 4 minutes) Survey

Ironman 140.6

If the Ironman 140.6 distance is the primary event you are training for, click the following link or paste it into your browser

Ironman Triathlete Mental Toughness Research Study: Qualification/Informed Consent/Demographics (Estimated time to complete: 4 minutes) Survey

6 months later I’ve finally got to see my swim coach

oof… Wrong thread!

1 Like