The Ironman in 2019 thread

Although once you get pretty experience with running, sometimes adding in a brick or two is the only way to work in some extra mileage. These TR plans with doubles on the weekends don’t really fit my dad/husband schedule… so if I’m to run and bike on the same day on a weekend, it’s going to be a brick.

2 Likes

Sure, whatever gets the sessions in! :slight_smile:

I think an endurance bike can be a good warm up for a hard run, and an endurance run can be a good warm down after a hard bike too.

1 Like

Hi all!

I’m really enjoying reading all your posts!

An update on where I am at. I am still heading for the Staffordshire 70.3 in June. I have found myself a Sprint distance triathlon on the 31st March at East Leake as a practice and my very first triathlon! I also have a 20 mile race this weekend, the Ashby 20.

Good luck everyone and keep up the great posts!

3 Likes

True, the “double day” term is more as a visualization on a calendar let’s say… very similar training stress adaptations if you do late night/early morning DoubleDay or morning/evening DD. Obviously if you could get quality sleep it’d help the early morning but at the same time it may be harder to refuel (having carbs before bed?).

Definitely double - err triple :facepunch:

Agreed with @JoeX here

Just hypothesizing, I’d say between 0-30min post-workout #1 would be considered brick… definitely up to an hour and then probably negates “brick specific” adaptations. Reasoning: by continuing to stress the system during that “30min recovery fuel window” after workout #1 doesn’t let the body completely enter the recovering state… Which is probably what a race will demand from you - Unless you take a nap in transition :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Doubles are the same discipline twice in a day, so interval run in the morning, recovery run in the evening for example.

———

Got just over three hours running in the legs top end of aerobic due to the terrain yesterday, felt okay but major stiffness an hour later. Took the planned bike off this morning, to see how the legs recover.

So building confidence for the marathon but can’t say it’s all that positive for an ironman.

1 Like

I honestly forgot about this…

A lot of people say that the run leg isn’t a “marathon” it’s just “why not just spend the whole day without dealing with the kids, I’ll go run for a few hours” :joy:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

First race with power first race since being on trainer road at Clumber Park Duathalon.
It was always about monitoring fitness.

Goals for today

1. Evenly paced 10k.
  2. Power goal of 230 W on the bike.
  3. Not lose time on the second run.

I hadn’t rode outside since last August and that was a sprint and I might have only rode outside 2-3 times in 2018. I’ve got to be honest I don’t like the cars, if I am riding outside I want to be out for 5-6 am and in for 9-10 before the roads get busy and until it gets brighter and warmer this is a no go for me.

First run I perhaps went a little easy. I asked a question in the team oxygen addict facebook group about pacing in a Duathalon and the host answered it on the show and said that to aim for your 15k time for both so I figured around 8 minute miles but I was about 7.45 for each except the first which was 8.03 and it all felt easy.

Bike felt amazing, I had been overtaken a fair amount on the run but I just started pulling people back and it felt effortless, I had people in my age group in team GB tri suits with sexy disc wheels and a little bit more extra power and they were behind me.

However in the last 3-4 miles of each lap the road conditions were the worst I have ever ridden on, I didn’t feel safe to be on the tri bars and my xlab torpedo bottle (which is new) was not tight enough, eventually I lost it. I had to stop, go back, dodge bikes and traffic to retrieve it and then get back on and get back up to speed.

I was annoyed but buoyed by my fitness, I just kept going (nothing you can do really). I also lost all my nutrition when my bottle fell out so the second half and the 5 k was done with nothing on.

One of my takeaways was how many times I overtook people on hills staying in aero because I kept thinking of @Nate_Pearson saying if you are going more than around 13 mph its still worth it.
I was significantly stronger on the bike compared to Run 1 but I did only do 205 W NP, I didn’t push hard enough (most of the ride was very easy), I wasn’t aggressive enough with my overtaking and I really didn’t like the shitty section of road. I know come 70.3 in 8 weeks I can hold a much better power number.

Run 2 I was delighted by, I was almost 50 places higher on run 2 than run 1 which I believe justified my slower steadier pace on the first run.

Takeaways

1. I forgot to change my Garmin over to bike after the first run so I broke the marathon world record at 1.40, smashed that Nike attempt at 2 hours.
  2. I need ride outside more over the next 8 weeks, my x lab wasn’t tightened enough and I would have known that if I had rode outside at least a couple of times in the last 16 weeks.
  3. I am getting far better at checking my ego, it was hard not to chase after my age group during the first 10K but I know it justified it.
  4. I need to push myself to hold a steady power, I took the downhills too easy.
  5. Trainer road has turned me into a decent biker and its great.
13 Likes

Near the turn of the century, as a relationship ended (in hindsight, it was the relationship that drove me to Ironman… what better way to be out of the house?), I had a roommate who was into lifting weights. He asked if I worked out twice a day. I remember laughing and replying, ‘a rest day is when I workout just once in a day.’

However, I find I cannot zone out as much on a trail run. Too many times, I won’t count here, it would be embarrassing, I tripped and fell when I zoned out or let my mind wander. Last year it happened and I scrapped up my palms really badly, in addition to other wounds, so I couldn’t hit the pool and it hurt like heck to ride.

2 Likes

I was there too and I had similar goals. I was going for Half Marathon pace on the run segments after asking my running coach and had seen a good duathlon power target was 85%-95% ( I went for 85% it being my first). Worked like a charm! Was 1 second per KM faster on the 2nd run; this despite the first KM being an abomination as my feet were cold and numb from the ride. I intentionally stopped dead at the water station to test that - always end up spilling most of the water in the cups if I try and run :laughing:

The bike was ok. I too bloody hate the traffic and I got at least two punishment passes. I went above my power target pretty frequently because I have poor discipline and can’t stand being leapfrogged by people who pull in and slow down (which as you probably all know behoves you to drop back or overtake). Ended up with an annoyingly high NP.

Yes! This! Proper lunar surface. I like my BMC TimeMachine but the integrated storage has this habit of launching itself out of the port if you go over a pot hole. This happened twice on the Arundel Castle tri last year (spilling my tools and spares on the road with triathletes hurtling up the road towards the debris) and I rednecked a fix to keep it in since. Swapping the mount for my Profile Design water bottle and switching the straw mount from front to back also helped stop that leaking like a sieve. Sadly, these are only problems you encounter on race day :frowning:

I had a great time at Clumber though. One thing I’d like to see less of is drafting on the bike - I swear some people were doing through-and-off :laughing:

4 Likes

I think you were stood next to me when setting off but I didn’t want to say ‘do I know you from the internet?’ And come across as a stalker

1 Like

@Simo429 @rjessop

Nice racing chaps. Sounds like you both got what you wanted to out of the day :+1:

2 Likes

I have put the money down for an Olympic in June and the 70.3 in August. Of course, the day after I registered for the Oly they changed the bike course so it now has 3x elevation gain.

Over the last week the garmin started telling me I was “peaking” which made me laugh and which I didn’t believe at all. And then yesterday I ran a PR mile so maybe it was onto something after all.

3 Likes

Last week of build, it’s been a bit of a rollercoaster ride esp with holiday skiing in the middle, but I’m healthy at least.

Went on the body analysing scales at the gym, I’ve gained a kilo…in muscle! :sweat_smile: So my BF% is just into 19% but it’s ruined my PB w/kg :sleepy::sweat_smile:

NB: You can’t trust these scales much in reality.

I’m sort of positive about the marathon in three weeks and MV FD Speciality is looking like a toughie…I’m already pining for the HD plans…

How are you all doing?

3 Likes

Roll call!

@octopusx
@GeorgeAnderson
@Amnesty IM Frankfurt
@tribuddha IMLP 2020
@JulianM
@Simo429 Outlaw Half
@Brandes
@Murph333
@Scheherazade
@AgilityRay Outlaw Full

Page #2
@schmidt
@PawelKozela
@Maki_NarusawaTrotter
@Bioteknik
@joeames08
@TriAndSucceed
@emmk IM Ireland
@Dugansposse IM Cozumel
@GregH IM Gurye

Page #3
@dlukes01 IMTX 2020
@TheBasket
@timswanson999
@PDE77 Patagonman
@indigorallye
@Hoppy
@mathlete76 Injury
@rjessop
@Pro_Sandbagger
@danielm

Page #4

@JamesW
@BarnabyG IM Western Australia
@EagleAllan UK Ultimate Triathlon, Patagonman
@jrcoop88
@pgyates1983
@adriandlh IM South Africa (Imminent!)
@TG333
@thatswattshesaid
@Seamonster Utah’s Toughest

Page #5
@mountainrunner
@stanleyjack14
@moshecattan IMLP 2020
@AujujuSauce IM 70.3 Wisconsin June 9.
@mtstanek
@Mac2k3
@slainster IM Austria
@route66 Illness
@AustinPT
@Michael_Tate IMFL

Let me know if I’ve missed you or need to take you out.

I think next time I’ll try to include what races we’re targeting. :+1:

1 Like