The 24 Hours in The Old Pueblo Thread

Hey, Brandon just pulled a lap, they’re back on course it seems!

11 Likes

Come on boys! They may be able to get two laps in before the noon cut-off for the last lap.

2 Likes

:cold_sweat: A “like” didn’t seem appropriate.

Not enough to check just the stem bolts😉

Not looking good, no more laps after Brandon.

It might be beer’o’clock time

2 Likes

Chad wins! Sounds like he had right idea.

5 Likes

17 solo males completed more than 11 laps!
8 single speed males completed more than 11 laps!! :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I did 11 laps solo, singlespeed many years ago. Different course and much slower I’m sure though! (Similar kind of duration though). I’ve done a few 24 hour races, solo and in teams, but never been anywhere near competitive, and always had a lengthy sleep! It is supposed to be fun, after all! If it’s going wrong or not fun any more then pulling the plug is a sign of wisdom, so all credit to you guys.

8 Likes

Any chance of pictures on forum? Im not on Instagram/Facebook etc. I did google the name of the RV you had when it was mentioned on the podcast. That thing is huge!!!

I cursed myself…the weather sucked. Hard.

I’m sure more learnings will be added in here as the podcasts are posted, but figured I’d put four of my main takeaways in here for what it’s worth.

First time doing this event. I was on a 4 person team. I did 4 laps & my team did 15 overall. No intention of being competitive versus the field, we just wanted to push ourselves and see what we could do. We collectively rode through the night. Could have gotten a 16th in but wanted to get out of town before the mass exodus began and we got stuck for a long time.

Weather wasn’t great, but actually didn’t think it was too bad. Just made sure to layer appropriately for the bike. The night laps were great because there was very little wind & the dirt was getting juuust a bit damp to help traction.

1. At least for this race, no matter how early you get to the Le Mans start, people will come and pile in the front because that’s the way you walk to the start from 24 hour town. If you want to be at the front, just be aware that if you show up early you’ll have to continue to push forward to stay up there.

2. After my first lap, I changed, got something to eat but then was helping some of my other teammates get ready, went to the rock drop to get pictures of my teammates, etc. and just generally didn’t stay laying down. Definitely played a role on how I felt after my second lap. If you’re there to be competitive, let others do their thing and just focus on rest. Basically just laying down between my 2nd & 3rd lap helped immensely. If you’re there for the enjoyment, who cares though.

3. Didn’t feel like cooking at all or making anything that took much time during the race. As much as we planned to even just have basic things cooking throughout the day, no one felt like doing that. Bring food for easy meals & snacking during the race because you shouldn’t count on cooking.

4. We were all first time riders here and didn’t know what lap times would be like. To give us all a better idea of when we should head to the transition tent, we used Strava’s Beacon feature to live track each other around the course and know when we should head to the transition tent. That way we maximized the time we spent at camp resting & eating and then would only need to be at the tent for 5ish minutes before it was time to go.

13 Likes

Strava Beacon (or another GPS sharing service) was a good idea!

5 Likes

The podcast is now live on all podcast channels and YouTube and Facebook.

12 Likes

@Pete How does it work racing like this when you race normally for Cliff Bar? Did you wear TR kit or Cliff Bar kit?

1 Like

On the road, I suspect he’s contractually obligated to wear the Cliff Bar kit, but on the dirt it could be fair game.

1 Like

@Nate_Pearson I share your disappointment in not finishing! Wish you guys would have kept riding, don’t know if I agree with @Jonathan in that you all would have been wrecked for an extended period of time if you kept going.

1 Like

Jonathan has bigger fish to fry this year remember. No point hurting your A goals for less important stuff.

5 Likes

I agree with you.
Every time you quit a race it gets easier next time.

I respect @Nate_Pearson even more for wanting to continue.

6 Likes

I raced it, I only saw Pete 2 times and hollerd at him. Curious what your recovery window is post this event.