The 24 Hours in The Old Pueblo Thread

@Pete is the real dark horse here… :racehorse:

5 Likes

My logic:

• Brandon will be the first person to hit a cactus because he used to do triathlons (sorry, couldn’t resist) and doesnt ride as much MTB but is generally really fast for long durations, so I expect him to have the fastest average lap time because he won’t fade as much. But all you need to hit a cactus is one over cooked turn, so I think my odds here are good.

• Jonathan always wants to empty the tank, so he will definitely have the fastest lap but it will cost him later especially when he is running low on sleep

• Pete is a crit racer extraordinair and also likes to party on the downhills, so I expect a similar fast lap time to Jonathan, but with a little bit less experience racing on the mtb for multiple hours so biggest difference between fast and slow lap

• I actually think that Nate will perform really well because he is the best at fueling but he won’t stand out in one particular category. I think Nate will have the most consistent lap times and might have fastest average, depending on conditions.

12 Likes

Fastest Lap: 1:02

1 Like

I will be there too! Excited and very very nervous!

1 Like

Some very solid predictions! You’re right, overcooking a turn is all it takes, and for those more accustomed to the consistent traction of tarmac, the desert ground may come as a surprise. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Anybody else going to be there tomorrow (Friday)? We made it from Reno to Henderson today. So far so good…

Weather looking choice. Course will be sloppy early today but by Saturday should be nice and tacky and couldn’t ask for better daylight temps it looks like.

1:04:10 fastest lap for the team. Jonathan on lap 1.

Lots of rain here. An RV got stuck in front of us but we made it!

10 Likes

59:43 for fastest lap

I’m looking forward to listening to all the stories from this adventure–Coach Chad probably WILL lead the most tumbles into a cacti!

2 Likes

1:02:20 - Jonathan first lap

Here’s how the lap times shook out in 2018. I’m not sure if the course is the same, and conditions may well be totally different. With those caveats:

• A time of less than 61 minutes would be in the top 1% of all 2018 laps by male riders in all categories.
  • A time of less than 68 minutes would be in the top 10%.

Whittling it down to male riders in the “Corporate” category gives very similar times at the 1st and 10th percentiles.

Data from: http://liveresults.epicrides.com/24results/LapRanking.aspx

3 Likes

Pretty sure that was the RV I was in @Nate_Pearson Right around 9 last night? Took about an hour plus to get it unstuck. Apologies. Haha

1 Like

Yes! We were right behind you. Thanks for getting stuck so we didn’t! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Prayers for Nate who wants to do 1/4 of a 24hr at high sweet-spot/ftp pace.

4 Likes

Good luck out there, have fun, go hard, and make good memories.

2 Likes

I think highly of you. I think you get cherry bomb pants. Or too many carbs. Or forget to bring your seat. Or forget to tighten your screws.

When does this start - is there any live results?

There are. Event starts today (Saturday 16 Feb) at 1200 MST and live results can be found here: http://liveresults.epicrides.com/24results/default.aspx?event=2018

If not there, a google search of the thread title should walk you into the event site.

3 Likes

Good luck, guys!

1 Like