Tacx Neo Motion Plates (Fore-Aft)

Ditto, it seems that we are long overdue for a Neo 3.

I am kind of hoping / expecting to see one of those, along with new stuff from Wahoo and Saris since it has been a rather long drought in the world of new trainers in particular.

1 Like

The 2T was pretty well rounded offā€¦ there really isnā€™t much more they can do to it.

Itā€™s only a matter of time before we should start seeing ā€˜smartā€™ trainers become a little smarter. Connection hubs for sensors (the JetBlack VOLT with the HR bridge is a good example). And WiFi connectivity (5GHz WiFi). The Direct Connect idea from Wahoo is goodā€¦ but who, aside from us nerds, uses Ethernet cables?

1 Like

You mean the ethernet connection that Zwift still does not support! :smile:

3 Likes

Correction. That your Zwift doesnā€™t support. :wink:

It canā€™t be far off. Support for it has been in the code for months now. Stay tuned. I have a microwave oven sitting here in the Lama Lab ready to showcase ANT+ drops and DIRCON stability!

4 Likes

I fully expected they would eventually support the DIRCON. The fact that it has taken over a year is the only reason I took a shot at Zwift. After all, itā€™s hard to find reasons to pick on Zwift :wink:

edit: what was with the squeaking in your video? front tire too wide?

2 Likes

Yeah, small steps ahead is what Iā€™d expect. Fix the disc caliper and frame clearance issues we see more often with the Neo range. Maybe add to the connections like the 3x BLE of the Kickr and you hit on some interesting options too.

Polish more than reinventing.

1 Like

Yep. 28mm GP5000S TR on the 454 NSW ends up being a piggy 30.5mm!

It seems like it would have been a better idea to add a similar attachment to the existing wheel riser or supply a new wheel riser with the moving bottom rather than the riser they supplied that squeeks if your wheel is too wide and relies on your front wheel rolling back and forth. I guess that would have made it $500 thoughā€¦ :unamused: Something to MacGyver in the Lama Lab? :grinning:

2 Likes

Does this make a big difference when standing, or is it marginal? I find standing on the trainer to be entirely unlike standing outside.

Wait, are you implying the TR does support it, this is great news as I get far more drop outs (I think itā€™s when my neighbor uses her microwave) with TR, so this is great news

Yes. Itā€™s my understanding that TR supports the DIRCON, although you might need to be on the beta train of TR. Then again, itā€™s been a long while so it is probably in the mainline TR now.

Iā€™m keen on reducing saddle discomfort and staying on the trainer longer. Admittedly they are pricey but also well designed and a nice addition to the Neo if they make a positive difference to the ride. Iā€™ve just bought them and if they do the job Iā€™ll report back. Otherwise keep an eye on eBay!

4 Likes

Hard to say. Personally, Iā€™ve never had a fore-aft only rocker (ignoring the mominor flex in the Neo), but I imagine it might help a little.

For me, the biggest change is adding lightly sprung rocking motion. IMO, that basic action is the key difference between a rigid setup and a decent rocker setup.

The amount of actual lean angle varies feom ridwr to rider, and even between power levels and such, but most people apply at least some lean angle when standing.

As GP Lama mentions, standing on a non-leaning bike inside leads to a different motion pattern that what we apply outside. I wonā€™t claim a rocker can match the exact same feel and function as outside, but it can sure get closer than a totally rigid setup.

Adding fore-aft helps a but with the transition and the fact thay we are not a perfectly balanced machine. So the F-A motion tames that imbalance to some degree.

As to the Neo flex in this regard, it is insufficient for standing efforts and only really beneficial for seated comfort when compared to real rocking action.

1 Like

Thanks Chad, looks like I wonā€™t be getting the Flex.

1 Like

Just received mine and gave them a spin. The feeling is really really good. Hard to describe but it feels very much like riding outdoors.

Sure, maybe a bit on the expensive side, especially here in northern Europe (paid $350) but since I do a lot of indoor riding, more than outdoors, canā€™t really put a price tag on this feeling.
As for indoor sprinting, I donā€™t do those anyway, it always feels like I will break a lot of expensive gear every time I try it.

They do feel a bit plastic, but I hope they will keep intact for a couple of years at least.
Installation was super easy, except for some minor issues detaching the feet from my Neo OG. Super clever to keep the feet within the plates.

Highly recommended.

10 Likes

exactly my thoughts. Hoping v2 gets released soon

1 Like

Already have them?! Garmin USA web site shows available to ship in 2-3wks. Here in TW, nothing on the Garmin site. Asked bike shop, said they canā€™t even order them yet.

Iā€™ve seen people getting them from LBSā€™s already on FB

1 Like

Iā€™m giving these a hard look, was going to buy the Leeze Boom Pro rocker plate before these came outā€¦price is almost the same, but one does lateral movement while the Tacx one does fore/aftā€¦Iā€™m most interested in the feel and comfort (especially re saddle).

I feel encouraged by what you write, the Tacx Motion Plates would suit me better in terms of space but ultimately itā€™s function over form for me.

How have the plates affected your comfort on longer rides, have you had a chance to try them in that context yet?

The two rides Iā€™ve done has been very short due to a recent surgery, and to be fair, I barely ever do rides beyond 90 minutes. So Iā€™m probably the wrong person to ask.
However, during the short rides Iā€™ve done, canā€™t feel anything that would indicate any strangeness in that sense either. Just a bit more core work, like riding outdoors.

Also, as the Neo already has some lateral movement, you kinda get the full range now. Looking at the handlebar when riding, you can see movement in all directions. Or maybe itā€™s my carbon frame breaking :wink:

5 Likes