Sweet Spot Progression

They’re excellent, I wish I had time to watch these lectures off the bike and make notes.

No… i do not accept this because now I would have to do 120 min, again, with my new ftp and I do not want to :slight_smile: please delete this workout from your history :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But you had an impressive bump based on your 1 hour test, so no need to rush into 2 hours - even though it’s soooo much fun :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

But 2h is always better than 1h because longer is better :wink: Recently work really messed my plans with training and I will have back to tracks. But I will have 2h at back of my head in the next block.

1 Like

I really need to get back to this 100 min @ 85% interval:

so that I can do this longer 140 min @ 85% interval:

Hoping 2021 I can get back above 3W/kg and beat those times :smiley:

2 Likes

Looks like my kind of fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I already viewed the webinars. My problem is that in WKO, my mFtp % Vo2max is around 82.5, so maybe I should first do some max aerobic work before going to the sweetspot/tempo workouts? I almost never focus on vo2max workout (fondo type). But maybe this is holding me to raise my ftp?

That is my position exactly

My absolute lowest has been 83.6% :joy:

My highest mFTP (279W) was at 86.5% and during that period I had been confirming mFTP with long 40-70 minute efforts. WKO had TTE at 56+ minutes.

My first power meter was installed early October 2016. When PDC has good max data the % has been between 85-88% which as I understand it, is a bit on the high side.

also make sure your model has recent max effort vo2 efforts in it. If you havent got some good max efforts in it then it may be low and show a unrealistic %.

Yeah, six sessions is the max imo.

So either,

2 weeks, 3 per week,
Or
3 weeks, 2 per week.

If slower responder or do not hit ‘actual VO2’ in all sessions, then may 9- 12 sessions which would be 4 - 6 weeks max.

1 Like

Mine is constantly between 84 - 86 percent. My Ftp varies by 12 - 13%, within this range, does that tell you anything?

I find that I can easily reach VO2 in both the short 30s/15s as well as the longer 8min intervals. I must say I much prefer doing the longer 8min interval length. The pain is much more manageable. There’s just something so painful about doing 13 “0 to max” accelerations in a row! :grimacing:

The last 90days no specific max efforts or vo2max workouts. But in september I did the optimized intervals testing. But if I look in a bigger time frame it always is between 82-83.

And what did you do? Also vo2max work or just hitting the long efforts?

Ok, maybe I will do this. What type of vo2max sessions you do? 5x3min? or the shorter 40/20 30/15?

Didn’t have WKO at the time. You would laugh looking at my calendar - “What didn’t I do?” is the real question. One handful of fast centuries plus a double, hard spiky efforts on Wed night worlds, long sweet spot and threshold work, a couple time trials, 1-min Strava segment KOM hunting (got it the week after double), and several unplanned breaks including a full 10 days off in the middle of it to recover from all the work. A simple case of a new masters 55 guy teetering back and forth on the precipice of overtraining :rofl:

1 Like

How many hours/week are you doing in that plan you outlined above?

This block as planned is between 10:00 and 11:00 if I nail it. I already cut short yesterday’s tempo ride because of “life”, so this week will end up 9:30 at most.

2x long sweet spot rides are 75-90 min TiZ (1:30 - 1:50 total)
Pettit + sprints is 60.
Long tempo 1:15 - 1:45
Long ride 3:30 - 4hrs

TSS range is now 525-566. I think it’s a pretty good “in between” a TR MV and HV plan, focused on extensive endurance.

It’s individual. I’m currently at 81.8%. I peaked at 86% and resided around 83% most of last season. Some people run hotter, others would need to push VO2 at 80%. No one can really answer this very well without seeing all of your historical data to tell you.

The more subjective way (without WKO5 data) to tell is if you do a block and don’t see or feel much progress either in how your current FTP feels and how long you can hold it or the power you put out at your normal FTP RPE. If you’re still progressing, you might not change anything.

I have a rough outline of how things are going to go for me: Extensive - Extensive - Intensive (FTP) - VO2max, but if I see another big FTP and TTE bump after this extensive block, I might do another. The balance to that is I don’t really NEED to do more than 90 min TiZ Sweet Spot in a day for anything. We’ll see.

Yeah, that sounds like an excellent halfway point between those two volume plans.

I want to attempt to do something similar, but my weekdays are at 90 minutes max (lately 60 :sweat_smile:) and weekends are typically limited to 2-2.5 hour rides. Which I’m curious if I can implement something similar to see improvement as well.

No harm in trying!

1 Like

If you look at the “More Sweet Spot!” group, there are quite a few 90-minute workouts, and even more if you can get just five or seven more minutes out of it. You can get all the way to 1x75 at 90 minutes, and 3x25 at 1:35.

Stretching the longer ride on the weekend might do more for you, but life is life!