Sweet Spot Progression

Thanks for these, good sets.

That third one I’d do indoors, but the first two could be really good outdoor workouts. Much like my VO2max hill that I like to use, that first workout could be done on the same venue and give the best high-end power output… recover on the downhill, and do it again.

1 Like

Good fascat article and examples. I might incorporate some anaerobic efforts into my tempo work tonight since I’m not going to do my usual structured O/U work this week (racing Sunday).

2 Likes

Just don’t go too hard on the anaerobic efforts - I learned the hard way LOL.

Apologies for the commercial break… FasCat and my coach are awesome.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread discussion…

3 Likes

Those look painful, and I will definitely be incorporating that first one into my training leading into cyclocross—looks like a very applicable workout.

I may not… legs are a bit toasty from yesterday and I’m racing Sunday so avoiding overdoing anything this week anyway!

Maybe a small number of controlled efforts? Do what you know is best! Learned my lesson a couple months ago on where to draw the line. Workout was tempo/SS+bursts and on a whim I thought “lets see what happens if I really open the throttle” without discussing with my coach. That left me feeling a bit tired and flat for ~5 days! Since then I’ve been slowly pushing burst power up to arrive at something that gives more confidence in being able to hit the gas and cover a move, or try and latch on to a faster group, before settling back into a happy hard pace.

that’s exactly what i was thinking for crit workout as well. Spice things up.

1 Like

I’d probably keep it inside the low end of FRC work, for me about 440-520W, so about 160-180% FTP (for reference). I might do a few of these inside some of the easier tempo sections of Phoenix. Thus far this season my over-under work has been more of the “recruit large motor unit” style of SST work with 45-1:00 bursts into VO2max. Those have worked, but they’re not exactly race prep either.

Short 5-sec bursts or longer?

All I can say is that I’m glad that I don;t ride crits…

Here’s what I did… Phoenix with 20s bursts leading into and coming out of the lowest power sections. This made it nicely random. Cut the last fifteen minutes because I have a date with my wife and also to keep from overdoing it. I liked this workout a lot as a change from straight tempo or harder over unders (this is coming off of 52min straight at/above threshold yesterday).

1 Like

Thanks Jarsson, i will use this workouts for the race prep period!

No problem. Combine this with some 15/15 or 30/15 as high intensity workouts (the conclusions from Tim’s race prep plans).

1 Like

Thanks do you have a link to that plan/webinar?

This is from polarized 80/20 plan from trainingpeaks. And Tim’s uses this principle to peak before races as he speaks in the last webinar.

1 Like

Not turning this into a AT thread or want to discuss this further but i had to laugh at this today while I am int he midst of my VO2 block currently; hahaha

4 Likes

Hi all,

It seems that we can race again from week 24/25.

Does this affect my planning?

Week 16,17 and half 18: FTP work, with more over/unders (making ready for vo2max)
Week 19: Going to Limburg (Netherlands) and lot of volume (and can do some vo2max on short climbs).
Week 20, 21: Vo2max
Week 22: Recovery week
Week 23, 24, 25 again FTP.
Week 27 Racing

Other option:
Week 17 FTP over/unders
Week 18 Restweek
Week 19: Going to Limburg (Netherlands) volume (and can do vo2max on short climbs). The volume will be easy with my wife.
Week 20 Vo2max
Week 21 restweek
Week 22/23/24 race prep workouts like the suggestions from @jarsson (anaerobic cap, sprintwork, 30/15 and 40/20 etc)

Just more plugs here for our shared training methodology in this thread… today’s 15min MMP test:

Every all-time power PR from 8:30 to 17:05 and sustained 310W for almost 15min. 2% up from last test like this, mFTP now officially 285W, and it feels like I still have room to grow. The VO2max block followed by more sustained power has truly broken the glass ceiling I was feeling at 280W for the last 10-12 months prior training mostly with TR.

That said, when I started training consistently about three years ago (work precluded consistently training year after year), I struggled to stay over 300W for three minute intervals during workouts like Spencer +2, so TR helped, but now I’m taking things to another level from a fitness standpoint.

11 Likes

Nice!

Kurt, that’s awesome to see. How much of this do you attribute to a focused VO2 block versus your SS progression? A bit of both? I recall there was a point when you were questioning your choice of doing a VO2 block as your fitness didn’t seem to increase after it, it’s really neat to see the process working.