Suggestion for those who find progressions too intense

Using the time slider to scrub backwards in the workout deletes & overwrites the prior data. TR pops up a warning to that effect and requires a confirmation click by the user.

Thats what I remember, and Chad is saying what I remember. Sorry if this sounds harsh, but its another reason I started using my Garmin to record everything (no gaps, temperature, left/right power) and as my one and only workout display.

Oh I dual record everything personally, but I still wish there was a cleaner way to do it in the TR app and I think it could be useful in addressing the issue brought up in this thread.

A simple +1 like they have for warm-up and cool down is all that is needed.

Like you I dont see workouts go down unless my FTP goes down or I fail a workout. Any response I give still tends to adjust the future workout up.

Didn’t you post here, or in another thread, that every Saturday workout had you feeling like it traumatized you and you barely finished it? Were you rating those as moderate/hard?

Sure, that is the one of them main points of a training plan, “progression”. Ramp Rate is a thing and it is something aimed at increasing the stress on you and your body over time, asking a bit more each time you hop on the bike. That step over time is one of the key elements of a plan vs just riding and picking stuff at random.

There’s more to it than that, but the fact that workouts get a bit harder from one week to the next is a common feature of training plans, inside or outside of TR.

There are lots of workouts that would be suitable to do…they pick one at a certain PL and a certain style based on what plan you are doing. There are times there may be better options for you. Alternates are great for this. If you are tired that day just dial the progression back a bit.

I often change my VO2 progression to gradual increase the interval length. Short intervals I find easier. Longer intervals I like to build into but they do work better to get my heart rate in zone.

Sometimes I’ll swap out a workout of equivalent PL just because I’ll find it mentally easier. For example there’s no way I’m doing 20 min x 2. I need to break it up. Even if it’s more power than less being able to break it up into chunks makes all the difference for me.

Totally agree. I do the LV plan.

99% of the time I skip the SS workout and focus on nailing the threshold and vo2 workouts. That’s 2 hard sessions a week. The rest of the days I’m doing Z2 on the trainer or long slow group rides in Z2 (or low Z3 on climbs when necessary).

This week was the first time I’ve done a SS workout this year. Only because I had to take a few days off and wasn’t able to do my long Z2 rides.

I rated all of them as hard I believe, possibly very hard. I mean you can only go so hard inside…I never really tasted blood in my mouth, or had a cough for a couple days after like I would from a cross race. If it’s not cross race hard…it cant be all out from my perspective.

My assumption was that moderate should be what a normal trainer workout should feel like. But that seems to not be the case…it looks like moderate equates to “this workout was too easy given your current fitness,” while “hard” seems to be “this was just right.”

Right. And this I think is where the disconnect it. All out would have been you got dropped, couldn’t close the gap figured you need a few days off because you were completely blown.

Apart from BWR where I spent a good portion of the first hour over threshold and the third and fourth hour dying in the arse (caffeine to save the day past that) I’ve never thought of a race as all out. There’s just too much recovery time.

Yes. As I said low key Z2 rides are moderate. They’re supposed to be easy. Hard should be the bench mark for what felt like a productive ride.

Yea that’s what I was doing. Endurance was moderate if it felt right, recovery rides were all easy. Intervals were moderate or hard, sometimes very hard for the brutal ones

It’s just very confusing honestly. I think i’ve gotten a bit of a system now based on chads chart…but I dony get how anyone makes this system work without outside help or getting lucky.

I don’t agree with these assessments. It feels like the “every workout should be hard” mentality, which I don’t agree with, but I guess it doesn’t matter if we’re all supposed to just make up our own definitions.

This is still bothering me when it comes to rejecting Chad’s chart (this is what happens when I am injured and can’t distract myself with training). You are saying “tell us how you feel” and I am saying I use Chad’s chart to decide if I felt like I could only do one more interval. Or I felt like I could not do another. Or I felt like I had to use a bailout. Could I objectively have done more? Maybe–who knows? I performed the way I felt like I could, so my feedback based on Chad’s chart is still subjective feedback. It’s just easier to tell you whether I felt like I could do another interval than whether I felt I worked “hard” or “very hard.”

Seems like a lot of people who have a lot of trouble with the workout surveys are answering a different question than what is asked. The survey asks: “how did this effort feel?” A lot of people seem to answer a different question: “how did this workout feel compared to how you think it should have felt?” They are both good questions, and they’re both subjective. But the first one, the one that they actually ask is closer to being objective. It doesn’t ask about expectations, just how things went.

Not exactly. Because it’s a question of relativity. I am not viewing hard relative to the same thing that trainerroad is, which means the best outcomes will not happen.

For me, every answer was based on all out being, “need to lay down for 20 minutes and try not to throw up; persistent cough after for 48 hours.”

If a trainer ride didnt get there, it didnt get an all out rating. If it wasnt CLOSE to that, it didnt get very hard. I had to hold onto something solid with 2 hands when getting off the bike to avoid falling over in order to rate things very hard. This meant progression levels ONLY went up, not down, ever.

Not every workout. The intensity ones. Sure not the first workout straight after a lay off or the beginning of build. But if you’re finding threshold and vo2 workouts moderate then IMO they’re too easy. It is after all supposed to be intense.

  • I totally disagree and so does Jonathan / TR…
  • Objective would mean that we can all agree on and point to what “Hard” means. If anything in this thread or the many others on the surveys points to one thing… is that we all can see & feel this word differently. That is the very definition of Subjective, and applies to all survey options.
  • Right, and this was a real sticking point in the past. That said, I don’t see that as the issue here.

  • We have people considering the sometimes gray areas between what Hard / Very Hard / All Out feel like… to each of us.

Its a good point. I started filling out TrainingPeaks before AT came out. They ask two questions. Last night I did an endurance ride, ended the ride and I felt normal (not strong, not weak) and the perceived exertion was a little higher than usual:

image

Since picking up the new Garmin 840 it asks the same two questions, so I actually answer that first while in the driveway. Then I use the same answers in TP.

Food for thought, here is the 10 point scale on Garmin which I use on TrainingPeaks as well:

and the Trainright / CTS scale: RPE: How to use Rating of Perceived Exertion in Training and Racing - CTS

Usually my 2 hour endurance rides feel moderate and I rate the a 3, but last night I felt some tension in my legs for the second hour so I bumped it up to a 4. On the 1-5 scale used by TR I’d likely give endurance rides a 2, I dunno.

FWIW Intervals gets all of that from the Garmin FIT file:

image

That was one of my best endurance rides, ranked by power-to-HR (EF), of all-time.

My low aerobic fitness has been trending up and that workout reflected that.