Strength Training

With my current experimentation I’ve done:

• TR (SS outside) immediately before lifting (literally on the commute to the gym) – sketchy/dangerous; do NOT recommend
  • TR (SS indoors) 45 minutes before lifting – acceptable
  • TR (SS indoors) 4 hours before lifting – fine
  • TR (2h endurance outside) immediately after lifting (long way home) – fine

A conclusion I’m coming to is that TR workouts before lifting tend to interfere with lifting more when the workouts are higher reps.

This past Thursday I did a TR (SS indoor) workout around midday and lifted in the evening. Friday (yesterday) I did an endurance/shakedown ride that was almost ten hours in the saddle. Tried to keep my HR in Z2/low Z3 as much as possible. I lifted this morning (heavy, low reps) and didn’t notice any hindrance this morning from yesterday’s long ride. However, I did have a decent amount of muscular fatigue Friday morning when I was starting my long ride. The psychological feedback faded after an hour or so.

EDIT: Just want to add that my philosophy is generally, “Get the workouts in first; optimize scheduling second.” Figure out what you can do consistently first. I’ve done a lot of non-optimally timed lifting in previous sports. It had to be done. 9 times out of 10, consistency beats other forms of optimization. Yes, having at least 24 hours rest between lifting and cardio is optimal, but not if one uses that reasoning to optimize themselves out of a workout entirely.

2 Likes

I’d do either/both #2 or #3. Body adapts well to routine. Or so I’ve been told. Hard to know if it’s just broscience or whatever.

I know a lot of people who got into lifting via Starting Strength-like programs, which focuses on the 5x5. Anecdotally, I don’t know any competitive strength & conditioning program that doesn’t change the sets/reps on the regular.

There’s also #4, which is to change to DB overhead press or another mostly similar, but somewhat different lift for a bit (incline bench; push press; jerk). And #4.5 which is to use a spotter with a variant that can be safely spotted. Contrary to what some might believe, spotters are not just for ensuring safety. They also can help you by applying the slightest amount of help/stabilization when you start to fail so that you can complete the set. This is helpful when you’re between increments. DB overhead press can be spotted at the elbows or the wrists. There are videos on YouTube.

I guess #5 is find smaller change plates, if you don’t have them. Do you fail at 122.5?

1 Like

While it doesn’t come close to comparing to the more advanced strength training programs in this thread, I have come across a maintenance routine that seems to work for me given that I rarely can fit more that 1 training session in a day.

Basically, I have come up with a set of mini-strength workouts that I do right after my rides. These workouts consist of 3-4 exercises organized as 6-8 minute EMOMs (each minute on the minute). An example would be:
2 rounds (EMOM)
Alternating Pistal Squats
Pull-ups
Ring Dips
Sand-bag drags in plank position

So far these have maintained my strength standard levels (which I will test from time to time) between level 2 and 3. I have even been able to increase my pull-ups to 18 strict.

Anyways, thought I would throw it out for discussion and in-case anyone wants to try something different for maintenance.

2 Likes

Yeah, sometimes I can’t finish the 5th rep with 120lbs.

I don’t think my wife is up for the task :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Home gym situation.

I wouldn’t rule it out. A spotter can be weaker than the lifter. They just need to be able add enough to your effort to help you complete the rep (and maybe some other things depending on the lift). You could ask your wife to hold your wrists as you do DB overhead press–just that small amount of stabilization can help you put the weight up. Here’s a video describing the technique.

I think DB overhead press would be safe for beginner spotters; I would not have an inexperienced spotter try spotting BB overhead press. It’s in the video but I’ve never seen it spotted in real life, fwiw.

1 Like

Not sure what your equipment situation is like, but you could also add in other exercises as well.

For instance instead of barbell overhead press, you could switch over to dumbbell overhead press for a block. This will force you to recruit more muscles just to stabilize the weight and will likely lead to increase strength on the overhead press with the barbell when you come back to it later on.

If you don’t have access to dumbbells another great exercise is landmine presses. Only load one end of the barbell, and stick the other end of the barbell in a corner in the room. Assume a split squat stance with one knee on the ground and then press the weight doing reps for the right side, then the left. This exercise again really forces you to stabilize the weight and will likely help improve overhead pressing. I would include this as more of an accessory movement in addition to the OHP.

There are so many other options, like isometric presses in a power rack, that should help you shake past the plateau. Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Hex bar dl’s are a lot closer to a squat than a dl. My non professional advice is I would try them for sure for what you’re thinking of doing.

They look painful, but zercher squats might be worth looking into.

1 Like

Hex bar squats are closer 1/4 or 1/2 squats or what I did because I have angry rotator cuffs that don’t like back squats, I got safety squat bar.

1 Like

Goblet Squats, Landmine Squats (similar to goblet, but because you are holding the bar bell you can load with more wait). Dumbbell bulgarian split squats (these are killers, plus work your legs independently). Also, if you are working out of a gym, maybe you have access to the 45 degree hack squat which requires no loading of the shoulders: image

You could also try belt squats as well (you will have to google this one)

1 Like

Hi, Im just new here, and seen this thread. As we age, let’s say from 30 years old +, we lose skeletal muscle due to ageing, this is a catabolic process and unfortunately it can not be undone. But with strength training it can slow up the process of strength and muscle fibre diminishment.
We need specific strength training on the bike and should include resistance training to prevent the slow decline. As we reach an age of 60-70 years of age, in this decade skeletal muscle in humans has its greatest loss. So, it’s important even more to conduct resistance training in the form of barbells, kettlebells, dumbells and body weight.
Be carefull where you place resistance training into your training plan. For base, I would say include some specific exercises that do not compromise the mechanical movement of the sport, and compromise your aim. When in the competative phase only do maintenance strengthening exercises to maintain the level of your strength that you have.
For someone who does road racing, i would just go into the strength phase of 3-5 reps max, as this is close to true strength, not waste valuable time doing higher reps, as we are doing this already on the bike to a certain extent, and this could potentially interfere with the cycling.
Strength training is a minefield, you just need to be smart about the application of it to which type of cycling you are doing.
Again, hello from Scotland and have taken up cycling since last August since Covid on a mountain bike.
Have a nice week,
Allan

2 Likes

As @ZeroGravity said, I think a safety squat bar is the closest alternative to a regular back squat for people with limited shoulder mobility. Not all gyms have them though

2 Likes

Not that close TBH

4 Likes

Try low handle on the hex bar and it is pretty much exactly a deadlift except your hand width is fixed. I think it’s a great piece to a a different lift for variety

Interesting, maybe Im wrong, it should have read Hinge-squat continuum, as the hexbar dead lift is closer to the deadlift rather than a squat?

Quick question: Anyone have ideas why my legs get so freaking TIGHT about 12-24 hours after lifting? How do I prevent / minimize it? My legs get tight enough that I struggle to walk, never mind run. (I can spin though).

More info: Leg workout that causes problems is Hip Sled and leg curl. 480lbs on the sled and 55lb on the curl. 2-3 Sets of 10. Trying to maintain rather than increase the weight. 5 min warm up on elliptical machine. Lighter weight to finish warm up. some stretching afterwards.

A shoulder injury forced me to stop squats, etc. Finally getting back to that.

How do I keep from getting so freaking TIGHT?

Thanks

it’s called DOMS (Delayed-onset muscle soreness) and there is no real true way to avoid it, try a lot of stretching or something like a recovery ride or any active recovery to get the blood flowing to the muscles.

I started back in the gym again last tuesday since the first UK lock down, i struggled to get up off the sofa for a few days, my quads and hammies were in bits. Just keep progressing, or maybe lift lighter weights but with a longer tempo.

2 Likes

Tightness is probably overload imo. If you are maintaining strength you can lighten the load.

My understanding is that DOMS are created by increasing load or reps too quickly, and it’s relatively easy to avoid.

1 Like

Too many reps.

1 Like

This makes more sense than DOMS. I have a pretty good idea of what DOMS feels like - this is very different.

Overload. Ok, so how much do I take off to keep the strength there? I was staying at 10 reps to get more endurance (I had reduced the weight some to get there).

Thanks

1 Like

Your endurance is coming from your bike work. Real strength work is usually 5 reps tops.

Reduced weight and more reps is what body builders do to get “da’ pump”

5 Likes