Strength Training

This for sure.

@Dennis, I also have a customizable strength program that I wrote/designed for endurance athletes that does what you’re after, that I financially benefit from, in my link in my bio.

Yeah, that’s a fun way if looking at it.

In my lifting days, before I started cycling, I once did a 10.000kg squat session. I believe it was 20 sets of 5 reps @ 100kg. Knocked me out for a good couple days lol.

1 Like

Crikey. That is shifting some iron. :+1::weight_lifting_woman:

I would try not to get caught up in the details. As a beginner almost anything will be better than nothing and will help you to build the routine while you get more comfortable with self programming. So don’t worry about trying to find the “best” exercises just do the basics.

Also, in the grand scheme of things most lifting programs will closely mirror how cycling programs are structured. They’ll start with higher volume and lower weight with sets and reps around the 3x10ish range (base). Then they’ll progress to med volume and med weight with 4-5x5-6 (build). And then go heavy weight and low reps with 6-8x2-3 (specialty).

3 Likes

Agreed, I would also spend some time getting the technique down.

This can take a surprising long time, but when you start lifting heavy, your back will thank you!

4 Likes

I agree. That is what most programs will do. It drives me crazy that this is what strength coaches recommend to endurance athletes.

Doing 3x10 is a bad idea for endurance athletes unless specifically gaining muscle size or losing substantial body fat is the goal. If your endurance lifting program starts out like this, I’d skip to the next phase and just run phase 2, twice. 3x10 at moderate loads creates:

1. Unnecessary fatigue & soreness.
  2. Indiscriminate hypertrophy which reduces endurance exercise economy, and sprint power.

If your lifting program does 6-8x3-2 in their peaking/race-prep phase, cut the set number in half or more. Still too-high-volume to allow for optimal race preparation. Energy would be better spent training harder on bike, and reserving those recovery & adaptation abilities for your rides, rather than dealing with higher volume lifting.

4 Likes

Yeah I agree. I should have said that that’s how most powerlifting/gym bro type programs will be laid out. Not necessarily proper endurance athlete strength programs.
I usually only see 10 rep sets being suggested for maybe a preseason or transition period for an endurance athlete when your riding volume might be extra low.

1 Like

Meh. 5x5 is the best rep/set for everyone.

:wink:

2 Likes

:upside_down_face: :joy:

Agreed, this is crucial. Rushing to add volume or load is a recipe for an over-use injury. Ask me how I know.

Nail the form and then add weight.

I started strength training in October and did 3 weeks of bodyweight prep—cycling was second. You can’t do both at the same volume or intensity, this always throws people off.

Some form of squats (bi and unilateral), deadlift variations (I like Romanian and conventional), lunge variations (reverse and lateral) and glute bridges make up my lower body program. I do accessory work with bands and body weight to target adductors, abductors, and weak hip flexors.

I’ll let others speak to reps and sets schemes because I’m still figuring this out. I started higher (10-12) and am now in the 5 rep range for my bilateral lifts, most of my unilateral work is higher rep lower weight.

I regret not strength training sooner. Aside from a back-squat induced knee injury (remember what I said about good form?) it’s been incredibly rewarding and has benefited my cycling performance.

2 Likes

For new to be strength trainers, I found this to be a very helpful article

1 Like

This post a few months earlier would have saved me a few months of anterior hip pain and trips to a physiotherapist! So of course, I learnt the hard (and painful) way what you’re explaining here, lol. But, after months of rehab work, I for the first time today did a loaded squat with proper form. It felt truly amazing feeling the muscles firing the way they should!

1 Like

Alex Dowsett deadlifting, leg press, planks etc

2 Likes

Just finished a 3 month block of heavy lifting! Thought I’d share some thoughts. Was hoping to get to 1000 lb total but no dice. Tested Maxes of DL 405, BP 265, Squat 305 @ 201 lbs bodyweight.

I made the mistake of trying to keep up some TR workouts at the start. That didn’t last long, as I was following a very high volume lifting plan that was absolutely torching me. Was doing 4 workouts of about 1.5 hours a week. I did keep up with a bike or a ski 2-3 times a week, just because I enjoy them too much not to.

After 3 months, I was getting VERY bored of all that time in the gym. I am stoked to call it quits and hit TR hard to get in shape for the summer. I prob lost 10% of my FTP, and down to 300 ish. Hoping to lose 10-15 lbs over next few months (I am a hard gainer, so this should be easy). I also have a 14 day backcountry ski trip coming up, and I know I will lose at least 5 lbs on this trip.

Overall, I enjoyed changing up and focusing on lifting. If you can maintain a high FTP and keep training while lifting heavy, tell me your secret! Because it is just so hard to handle all the leg work. Once you hit intermediate numbers lifting, I think you need major focus to hit the next level. Lots of mobility work, lots of focused recovery, and prob no other intense exercise.

5 Likes

Congrats on some nice gains. I doubled my squat and then injured my left knee. Really bummed to hurt yourself in the gym. The deadlift has been amazing though.

Re: fatigue…It’s so difficult. Just the peripheral fatigue is crushing.

I’m doing one hard day per week and then a lighter day later in the week to work on some single leg stuff

Do you know what caused the injury?

My feeling is either sub-optimal form or over-use.

Although, I’ve been very diligent about watching form videos (Rippetoe, Squat University) and doing my best to repeat what was said.

My left knee was quite swollen on either side of the joint line for a good month, which has reduced, but isn’t back to normal. It’s been difficult to flex w/o discomfort, only about 80% of the range of motion compared to what my right knee has. I can bike, deadlift, do single leg squats and pretty much everything else with no pain. I just avoid heavy squats because that’s what brought on the problem.

I saw a PT and he said Pes Anserine Bursitis, but I wonder if it might be a meniscus thing. Although, I don’t get the classic knee locking or pain from knee rotation that shows up in meniscus injuries.

1 Like

Thanks. I had a bit of quad tendon pain when flexing. This got resolved with some eccentric tension (snowboarding) and a improvement in form, specifically, knees outward in line with toes.

However, yesterday I notice some swelling (no pain) in my right knee, not visible but when locking the knee, the range of motion is limited relative to the left knee.

I had some knee pain mid last year after introducing heavy weights on top of bike training and completely solved it with a period of Weighted Isometrics. They were absolutely brilliant, I would look up Keith Barr on YouTube and The Jacked Athlete podcast. Can’t recommend them enough.

2 Likes

Nice numbers!

A 14 day trip!? Is that an epic traverse?