Strength Training

I’d recommend finding a program designed with cycling in mind, one that incorporates resistance training, core stability (NOT plank focused!), and possibly plyometrics. For this off-season that I just finished, had purchased two plans that I did a deep dive on:

Just gave a few podcasts links, more info on the respective websites and forums.

Ended up doing the FasCat plan, for a few reasons:

• it integrated cycling workouts making it a complete turn-key plan
  • earlier in 2020 I had finished FasCat SS base plan with excellent results
  • I’ve spent the last year remediating muscle imbalances from 30 years sitting at a desk and felt the ScientificTriathlon plan was a little more ‘advanced’ and something to do once I (finally) managed to get through doing weighted squats/deadlifts/etc at the same time as cycling (I struggled with that a year ago)

Background:

Both plans are purchased and can be used now and in the future. Both were $49 list price and plans are delivered to your TrainingPeaks (TP) calendar. The new TrainerRoad sync with TP will pull (FasCat) cycling workouts into your TR calendar (just today/tomorrow/day after) and then you can use TR app with your trainer, or do the workouts outside using TP sync with bike computers. Both included some supplementary material (90+ PDF for Scientific, shorter PDF and Excel spreadsheet for Fascat). The FasCat cycling workouts include well written instructions on what to focus on and how to do them.

When to use the plans:

• The ScientificTriathlon plan is designed to be used over and over, up until a couple weeks before A event and then restarted after A event.
  • The FasCat plan is designed to be used annually after taking an off-season break.

Saw excellent results from the FasCat plan, really really happy with the plan. Our gym was closed during the first half of the plan, and so I worked with a strength coach to modify the plan and focus on form. I already had 25/35/45lb (12/16/20kg) kettlebells and dumbbells up to 20lbs. That was enough to regain lost muscle mass due to aging and neglecting year-round resistance work. I’m in my late fifties but my brain is still in college so oddly I’m both invincible at times yet also concerned about risk of injury from lifting too heavy and blowing out my back/shoulder/etc. (one shoulder fixed, another one in my future! LOL).

Hope that helps.

5 Likes