Strain a Muscle Breathing?

I just finished my Base Phase 1 and did the ramp test for base phase 2 yesterday. I did a threshold workout a week ago Sunday during which I practiced breathing - you know, that super deep inhalation and forceful exhalation thing. I took that pretty seriously and while I didn’t feel anything painful while doing it, sometime later in the day I moved and felt a strain at the bottom right side of my ribs or maybe just below. I’ve felt a little tightness and a twinge at the wrong movement (but nothing really when sneezing) ever since. Then yesterday at physical therapy we did some deep-breathing exercises and now both sides feel off.
And when I poke to see how tender the area is, it makes it more tender. Should I just quit with the breathing drills and hope it goes away? I am old enough that any trunk-area twinges make me worry that some serious internal malady has arrived. But I also don’t want to run to the doctor every time there is a new twinge that seems like it has a logical cause…
Does it seem reasonable that I might have actually strained a muscle by breathing too hard? Has anyone else had this? Thanks!

You can strain your intracostal muscles (the ones between the ribs). You can also irritate costal cartilage (costochondritis… it’s no fun), although that’s usually higher up. Since you’re going to PT anyway, why not ask the physical therapist?

1 Like

Totally reasonable. Ribs are held to each other and your breast bone by cartilage and ligaments with a bunch of muscles attached to them. They are also very sensitive to pain. Tearing any of those would obviously cause pain, but even stress and stretching these connections can cause irritation.

1 Like