Does Magene make power meters for some of the mainstream US market brands?
Ive heard favorable things about the Magene ones if you can find em in the states, that said, I believe they were really heavy?
for a spider, I have a sigeyi on my MTB and for a cheap power meter, its been spot on. I threw my favero pedals on for a ride and recorded pedals to my phone, spider to my garmin, and it was maybe 1% off
Ive been super happy with my favero pedals. Theyve got a season of CX on them and various rides and theyve been pretty awesome. On par with what youll spend on a quarq. When my stages dual sided craps out on my road bike, Ill be replacing with the favero spd sl variant
I just purchased the Favero pro-mx 2. No rides on them yet. I put them on my kicker bike as I want to see how the numbers line up. Then I’ll take them out this weekend on my gravel bike.
The new carbon xcadey crank and power meter looks really good. Has anyone tried them?
4iiii left only are great value and rock solid. Give you more than enough accuracy to train and improve with.
As someone who has owned two 4iiii left-only power meters, I think they are no longer as cheap as people think. A Quarq DZero power meter costs about 340 € these days. A factory install 4iiii left-only power meter costs CAD$ 450, i. e. more than the DZero.
I have a power meter crankset on my gravel bike - it’s great. But I would still have gone with favero SPD’s if i had the choice.
I would consider what happens if your bike fitter or you choose to go back to another crank length. What solution works best then?
Most of my bikes are on Rotor or P2M Rotor spiders, so it is a case of swapping the arms only. Though, in another multi-verse with a different product release timeline I’d have assioma pedals.
Price is close enough now though that there is no way I would want left only power measurement when for only a little bit more I can have total power measurement. Plus at least if I do want to change crank length then the Quarq spider can be moved across to another compatible crankset.
Yeah, but the price differential is not very steep. (Sorry, I was too lazy to convert currencies.) I checked the German prices, the 4iiii by itself (the factory install option) is priced at 330 €, so 10 € cheaper. You are right that you’ll need to add the cost of a crank to the Quarq (200 € separately or 530 € as a bundle).
When I first started out, Quarq power meters (and all other two-sided competitors) were markedly more expensive. The power meter market has matured and left-only power meters need to be cheaper than that. SRAM’s one-sided power meters are much cheaper than 4iiii’s.
This is a good point. It’s a pity that Shimano doesn’t have anything (trustworthy) to offer in the power meter department.
The Magene’s are $325 direct from Magnene. Aliexpress claims $25 in import fees and taxes right now.
Finally, somebody on topic, thank you!!
Joe
Don’t do it - its like calling Beetlejuice. All the old Slowtwitch crowd read that title the same way.
WVA and other pro’s who break kneecaps etc tend to use these on very easy recovery rides for rehab.
Rotor 2inpower user here and couldn’t be happier.
Looks great, power accuracy is excellent compared with a tacx neo indoors, and price is very reasonable. Rotor had a steep discount on these a while ago, perhaps in preparation for a new model so I’d start there.
Besides, the chainring options rotor offers is fantastic. From 46-30 all the way to 53-39
In terms of power measurement it has two strain gauges measuring left and right independently and then reporting total power, plus all sorts of other metrics under the sun
Battery life is also very decent!
And no they don’t pay me
I just appreciate well engineered products that keep going forever without any hassle.
If I had it to do over again I would do exactly what you proposed and get a 105 crankset and Assioma MX-2 SPD pedals.
I have Force cranksets on my road and gravel bikes with 5-bolt Quarq D-Zero spiders. Works great and rings are plentiful and inexpensive. And I have a Sigeyi 4-bolt on my SRAM GX mountain bike cranks. I have no complaints about these setups, but my wife has the MX-2s and they’re amazing and very, very accurate. If it wasn’t such a pain, I’d sell all of my spiders and buy the MX-2s. And 105s are the best deal going for cranks I think.

