Specialized Direct to Consumer Bike Sales

Ugh, I hadn’t heard that but I guess that explains why no one seems to have Ultegra mechanical anymore. I had generally been opposed to 105 in favor of Ultegra (probably for no good reason) - maybe I need to rethink that.

1 Like

Ultegra 11 spd is to continue as a mechanical group. Whether anyone specs it or not is a different question.

2 Likes

The only place I’ve found R8020 is Merlin Cycles in the UK. Roughly $1200+, not including shipping. That’s not cost effective for my price point and I really don’t want to build my own bike yet when I could get so much more for the same price.

I don’t see Specialized pricing going down. I work in revenue management in a different industry. Maybe they will stay the same for a bike with lesser components.

Not a chance…especially since freight rates are staying as high as they are.

But unless there is a dramatic drop in demand, prices are staying where they are…they are the “new normal” and we are becoming inured to them.

@ericallenboyd, @Power13, unfortunately I agree that Specialized prices aren’t going to decrease. It’s a shame because they do a good job marketing and I think they make quality bikes. (I’ve never ridden one so I don’t actually know.) However, I’m in the market for a new bike and they won’t be getting my money - I can literally get two very good bikes for the price of the Tarmac SL7 Expert.

I also feel that way about the Trek Madone SLR - $8k and even more $$ for my favorite paint job. A lot of these super bikes are expensive. I like the idea of buying a lower spec model and knowing I’ll hold on to it and selectively upgrade key components over time. Last summer paying $4800 for the SL7 Rival seemed like a deal given I pocketed $2200 selling my 2015 Domane. Another $1k for Red/Quarq power meter crankset but I sold gen3 Stages 8000 crankset for $450.

1 Like

I’m torn between a Fezzari Empire SL Pro and Trek Emonda SL 6. Both are the same price. Force eTap AXS on the Fezzari, Ultegra mechanical and ok carbon wheels on the Emonda. I’d get the Empire Elite with Ultegra mechanical but they don’t have any groupsets in stock and no estimated delivery. I definitely don’t need electronic shifting and I’m starting to like the lines of Trek. Maybe someone can gift me a Tarmac SL 7 Expert so I can sell it and get both. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tarmac SL14 will be out by the time you make a decision :joy:

1 Like

So true! Truth be told, though, the decision is not purely mine - otherwise it would have been made weeks ago. The real boss needs to weigh in. Maybe the tax return will help …

1 Like

I’ve seen Specialized advertising the new Allez Sprint. It looks like an aluminum SL7.

Dedicated topic about the Allez for anyone interested:

Yes it is true you can probably buy 2 good quality bikes but the one fact is the bike will not be a Specialized.

Not trying to knock any other brands but between my previous Trek Emonda and current SL6 Tarmac there is not even a remote chance I would buy a Trek again. Something about it I just love. To each there own of course.

I love it so much I bought a Epic Evo recently and the CS I have received from them through the ridercare email is so good.

Good luck when/if you ever buy a bike or two. :wink:

@ericallenboyd, Interesting feedback, especially since I’m considering an Emonda SL6. What didn’t you like about the Emonda?

Interesting to see perspective from the trade, the letter makes some valid points, the unknown here is to establish how wide the view is.

There’s plenty of choice right now if you need a Tarmac in the UK. Maybe the high tide mark regarding price has been reached or a few bikes on sale is nothing to get excited about given the drought of new bikes for the last two years.

I work in the trade and parts and availability of new bikes are still horrendous.

Do people see Specialized vs Trek tribes form in their communities?

I’ve lived in two small towns now and both had two main bike shops, one a Trek shop and the other a Specialized shop.

In my last town, most people liked the Trek shop people better and thus Trek was much more popular in my club.

In my current town, I’d say it’s 50/50 but some people affiliate themselves with the Specialized bike shop, wear that shop’s team kit, do that shops group ride while a whole other group of cyclists in town orbit around the Trek shop, their team, and group rides.

Less of a “tribal” aspect for my experience and more of a “shared personal preference”. I work for the shop that is rare in the world, which has both Trek & Specialized actively sold at present. We also hold a bit of history as dealers for both that reach back nearly the full term of their existence.

We have a share of people who are partial to one brand or the other. I say it’s not really “tribal” here because it’s less “us vs them” and more about what people have ridden and prefer. Sure, there are some haters with whatever reasons they hold, but it’s not monolithic in my experience.

For my own history, I used to be a hardcore S guy since 1997. But got exposed to the T brand and fell in love with their bikes starting around 2012, after trying many of them for decades prior and not meshing with their bikes (mainly MTB at those times).

1 Like

I have tons of bike shops and Saturday ride groups within 30 minutes of me, so what I see is that people buy from the shop that has the bike they want, but then go to the shop closest to them for service and group rides (assuming the shop employees treat them well). It’s not so much brand culture as shop culture for road and gravel around here.

I will say that for whatever reason, Santa Cruz tends to sell a ton of mtb’s here and are considered the “cool brand” by many many people. They might start on a Trek or Spesh mtb or even the mail order brands, but the aspiration for many is to own a SC.

I’ve personally owned almost every brand you can name over the last 25+ years, and I try really hard to break those stereotypes amongst our new riders. I very firmly believe the bike that fits and has the right suspension for the trails you ride is the best bike for you. Another bad stereotype is that you have to have massive suspension and a full face helmet and wear jorts and vans if you’re a “real” mtb’er. Drives me nuts. People like to say roadies are prima donnas who are all about the image, but I see it MUCH MUCH more in our local mtb community.

1 Like

I think part depends on what you have experienced on the bike you buy.

My first bike was a low end Madone…It just was a rough ride and wasnt the best fit for me. Not sure I would rush back to a Madone but lots has changed since I bought this bike.
Next bike was a Trek Domane 6SL bought in 2017 or 2018. It would be the first bike that just seemed to fit. It is also the most comfortable bike I have been on.

So for my next bike I really would hesitate to move to another bike.

I am not in a rush for another bike…but as age creeps up I feel it will be time to splurge before I retire.

That matches my experience in the bay area too.
I swear there are more Santa Cruz mountain bikes than Spesh & Trek combined!

1 Like