[solved] What am I doing wrong fixing a flat?

Hello everyone,

Today, when I went to the basement to do a workout on my trainer, I noticed I had a flat (rear wheel). After my initial frustration, I decided to fix it instead of procrastinate. I remove the old tub, installed the new one… then I noticed a bump in the tire around the tube valve.

I’m not gonna lie, I’ve seen it before but I shrugged it off in the past. This time, when I spun the wheel (already back on the bike) I could tell there was a lot of vibration around that area and once I gently put my hand on the tire, I could easily feel the bump. Alright, there’s something wrong here, let me try to fix it.

If you look at the photos above (especially the first one), you can see that the tire is not back inside the bike wheel rim. I tried everything, but I couldn’t fix it. It seems like the tube (and the valve) is taking a lot of space and it blocks the tire to get inside. Look at the next photo to understand what I’m talking about.

I don’t know what to do. I thought I might be using the wrong tube/tire sizes, but I don’t think that’s the case. These are the specs for everything:

06_IMG_3581
07_IMG_8335

What I am doing wrong?? I feel so useless. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
G

I have had that before. My solution was deflate the tire not entirely, wiggle with the tire back and forth. Inflate it again with max pressure and normal it should pop in. Not native English so it is kinda hard to explain though, hope it makes sense.

Just deflate the tube a little (like to 20psi) and push the valve stem into the tire. Re-inflate.

The part of the tube where the valve is married to rubber part has a “plate” that just needs to be seated above the bead.

5 Likes

Ohh… that makes sense. As soon as I installed the tube, I locked the valve tightly, thus not leaving any space for the tire. I will try that and get back to you. Thanks!!

Yeah probably you can’t get the tire to seat properly with the nut screwed down. Loose it up and push the valve it and then try to seat the tire. Once seated pump it up.

If you can’t get that to work remove the tire and inspect the tire and inside of rim and make sure there’s not something obstructing the bead - Ie loose rim tape or any damaged bits on the tire/tube/rim

1 Like

Yea just remove the nut completely. It’s not going to help anything, and it will likely just rattle against your rim at some point.

And I second the above tip as well. Deflate the tire enough that when you push the tire back and forth on the rim, the bead completely disengages from the inside of the rim. 5 or 10 psi is probably plenty. Enough to give the tire shape but not create any real resistance against moving it around.

2 Likes

@earena and @Bigvern777 thank you so much! Problem solved.

I can’t believe I’ve been doing this for so long. I looked at the front tire and my commute bike: all the tires have the same bump. I’m so embarrassed. :man_facepalming: At least, I fixed them all… and I won’t make the same mistake ever again.

Last question: is that nut necessary at all or should I thrown it away???

1 Like

Throw it away. The only conceivable way it might help you is if you tend to get a running start with your floor pump, and launch yourself through the air at the valve with it when topping off the tires. Might keep the tube from tearing at the valve base in that case.

Other than that…just pitch it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah I don’t use em. I think the intended purpose is to make it easier to get the pump nozzle on. Ie when fully deflated the stem can get pushed down and be hard to get the nozzle on.

I just pinch the base of the stem with my fingers when going to pump it up.

1 Like

I just push the tire against it…even easier.

2 Likes

Awesome!! Thanks again. TrainerRoad time now!! :biking_man:

Even better - go tubeless!