SLC Crit drama after the race

No good excuses, but these guys have to be wired super tight to be such fierce competitors and I’m sure the adrenaline is pumping high after a near crash and hard race like that. I think this is a case where these guys need some management, which may be cost prohibitive for these types of amatuer teams, but some handlers that have their best interests in mind could possibly keep things more civil.

1 Like

Big fish in a little pond. The fact that I linked Lamperti, who single handedly beat them 2 years in a row in the pro race, shows that they aren’t as spectacular as they pretend to be. They might dominate the amateur races sure. But in a field against pros (the RR and crit), they haven’t had great results. And let’s be honest, the US pro fields aren’t even that crazy compared to the rest of the world. They couldn’t hang with US pros, who are at the bottom of the world tour pros.

The man I pictured wasn’t even in the race.

Any proof of that? There was some aggressive racing and footage of Cory swerving over and pushing him into the gutter. And I’m not defending Hernandez at all for getting into words with Legion. But there’s no way you can justify throwing punches at the finish line. Period. It was disgraceful and Legion need to own up to their mistakes if they ever want to have credibility. But no, they put out a half-a$$ed response and act like they’re taking the high ground.

Never once have I said this. He’s just as to blame as Legion. All of them should be banned for a while. So I’m not sure where you’re getting that I’m defending Hernandez because I’ve never anything close to that.

1 Like

Wonder if it was other teams fighting it would be such a big drama.
Its a fight.
it happens.
Hernandez was the instigator.
Justin probably saw himself as the defender of his brother.

At the end, Hernandez caused the fight and sadly Justin threw a punch.
Both got punished accordingly.

4 Likes

Legion seems to cause some pretty passionate opinions :sweat_smile:

I always get a little scared watching mass sprints at the world tour level, lots of aggression and physicality, seems similar to crit racing to me.

I’m curious about the opinions of the other P/1 crit racers, if they view legion as dangerous, hasn’t seemed like a big theme in nor cal videos or other YouTuber crit racers that I’ve watched.

I wonder if the women’s team had a different name and wasn’t associated with the men’s team if they would get the same treatment…

I don’t know why you think you’ve won some sort of intellectual high ground. But ok, cheers. You asked if Legion threw punches at other races, as if doing it once wasn’t enough to call them out. Was your point that as long as you do it once but not again, then you’re all good. Weird stance to take.

Lol, ok.

1 Like

So,

according to you, I can go, scream to your face and harass you and you have to walk away?
I bet you would throw punched too and then claim you were just protecting yourself.

1 Like

It might be important to some people whether being involved in physical altercations with other competitors (regardless of who started it) appears to be an isolated incident or is part of a larger trend. To me, corrective action would be different for each scenario.

1 Like

OK, Lamperti, got it. MisID on my part.

And yes, there is video of Hernández hitting Cory and causing Cory to lose control in the corner. It’s all over IG.

Hernández into Williams in the corner prior to the crash

1 Like

Never said that. Just think it’s funny that Hernandez comes in aggressive and yelling, gets $500 fine. Justin throws punches, gets $250. Makes sense.

So you agree that throwing punches was the wrong move?

1 Like

Turning in on him? Cory was following the wheel he had position on, Hernández was behind him and out of position.

And I agree it’s part of racing… so is losing your front wheel and doing whatever you can to stay up.”, which is all Cory did.

2 Likes

From the last couple years, it definitely seems like a trend.

All involved should get a suspension. That includes Hernandez, Justin, and Cory. USAC should really be stepping in and stopping things like this or they’ll just continue to happen.

yes it was wrong.
But,
If Justing would have no throw punches, Hernandez would have not been penalized.

Hernandez got penalized for throwing punches AND causing the fight in the fist place.

Crit racing is hard and dangerous. ALL participants know that. If you cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Its not about the fight.
Its about Legion on a fight. People are using this as an opportunity to point out how “dirty” they are.
They tend to ignore EVERYONE ride as “dirty” as Legion does.
But when is someone else, is aggressive and part of racing. When is Legion is dirty racing.

6 Likes

Here is what it comes down to, to me. If Legion is a cheap/dirty team, then this was bound to happen and they are the root cause. Even if this particular incident was not their fault, people over react to cheap/dirty teams.

I played enough sports to know that playing against dirty teams causes a lot of emotions. Fights almost always broke out against such teams. Why do you think "malice at the palace’ happened at the palace? Detroit was a rough, potentially dirty team (not to mention the fans).

If, on the other hand, legion is not a cheap/dirty team, then they are not at fault. While throwing a punch is never the correct reaction, I have almost got into several fights when someone took a cheap foul on my brother in bball. You know what else is not a correct reaction? Screaming in someone’s face.

5 Likes

So….like continuing to defend them when they got in a fist fight?

Might want to reread the posts. Never said causing fights. I said throwing punches. Also never said they did it in other races. I said people are angry that they threw punches. Not sure where you’re getting that I’m claiming they’ve started fights in other races because there’s nowhere in my posts that say that.

Again, there’s video footage of them throwing punches. I’m not sure what I’m ignoring but it sounds like you’re ignoring that there’s video footage of them throwing punches. You do know what ignoring means right? Because you seem to have a habit of not acknowledging that punches were thrown.

You actually believe that? So Justin was just doing what USAC wouldn’t? Nonsense.

1 Like

A lot of good here. Stuff happens in crit racing. Most of the time it’s worked out by the competitors and cooler heads prevail. I’ve sworn at people in races and always felt like :poop: afterwards because there are better ways to handle it… competition brings out ugly sometimes.

Agree on the resources and differences between world tour and US crit scene. Apples and oranges in terms of resources and style of racing.

USAC officiating is doing the best it can in most cases, but that is quite often not good enough. They need more officials and better training for those officials. Tough to not get upset when it costs you (I was relegated in a race for something I didn’t even see happen, cost me a 2nd place finish), but by and large they’re trying and in a tough spot a lot of the time.

2 Likes

Not what I said…
If Hernandez would have gone and scream and bitch about the race to Justin, nothing would have happened.

The reason Hernandez got penalized is because Justin needed to be penalized (correctly) for throwing punches.
The extra for Hernandez, probably comes from instigating the fight.