Sit bones and saddles

Seriously think you are taking that word way too seriously. It almost feels like you have a bad experience with it or something. When someone says sit bones is it not the 2 bones you feel at the bottom of your butt? I only ask because that what i think they are. They are the only “bones” I feel on my butt that I sit on. I just find it hard to believe you are more correct than an entire global industry when it comes to using the term “sit bones”. Yes it is probably not the scientific Doctors term. But to someone who has no idea, I can’t wrap my head around your outrage of the term. The OP isn’t having issues because she used the term “sit bone”, and by you using the term “ischial tuberosities” doesn’t fix anything either. She isn’t going to go to her fitter and because she uses the termischial tuberosities have her issue fixed as opposed to if she said sit bones and wouldn’t get the issue solved. You’re original comments imply because the fitter says sit bone there is no way they can solve her issue. Just bizarre

2 Likes

6 Likes

Care to quote anywhere that I said anything that might be called that?

Well done on being so confused by the term that you think you sit on your ‘sit bones’ on a bicycle when it is highly unlikely. You’ve entirely proved my point by demonstrating your confusion.

It was a little joke, in attempt to lighten the mood. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you know the context of the meme, you’d also get that the final answer (IT / Samsonite) is actually wrong, and chosen by me on purpose… but if I have to explain the joke, it clearly failed.

3 Likes

Ah, sorry. No I didn’t realise it was a meme. Probably a North American thing. I’ve never seen that picture.

And so it would seem that the “community standards” don’t apply if you hurl insults at someone that disagreed with Chad & they are free to yell at someone that they are “so full of B.S” etc, at will. I had another insult sent to me as a direct message from another brave individual who when asked for an example of said insult bravely ran away. Yelling an insult and then, when asked to quote an example, running away seems to be a bit of a theme.

The Forum Rules of being excellent to one another, and to attack the idea, not the person, apply to everyone. I have removed this post and followed up with them.

Please message me if you have any questions!

1 Like

Man, if I wanted to be nitpicked to death about something, I’d start a discussion with my wife. A whole herd of dead horses is being beaten in this thread.

I’ve been using an SQLab 612 saddle for about a year. It’s very firm, and is designed to have all your weight supported on your sit bones (yeh yeh). It took several weeks to get used to it. Zero numbness though, and once used to it, I’ve ridden up to 9 hours on it, and was fine afterward (well, my butt was fine, I myself was exhausted).

The redness and rubbing between OP’s leg and bits sounds (to me anyway) more like an issue with the pad. I have a couple of bibs that I avoid using on long rides because they bunch up in that area. I don’t see any mention of chamois creme in OP’s post, either.

1 Like

Sort of reviving this because I have a similar question… This sounds fairly “dumb” but how exactly is a saddle even supposed to feel? I’ve been riding on the same Fizik Antares R7 saddle that came stock on my bike for almost 2 years now and recently tried the Specialized Power Expert saddle. When I sit on the Fizik, I find myself sitting largely on the nose of the saddle where my sit bones don’t really sit on the wings of the saddle at all. The Spec is snub nosed which seemed to fix that, except it felt like my sit bones were digging in aggressively to the point of discomfort. What I don’t know is A) Are your sit bones supposed to have that much contact? B) Is this a “fix” by swapping to the Power Arc which has the rounded edges? You’d think for how often I ride that I’d have a better idea of how to sit on a bike but I’ll just chalk it up to being a runner first :man_shrugging:

Someone just posted this video in another topic which may be applicable. He kind of explains how different types of saddles affect pelvic rotation. He also talks about sit bones.

2 Likes

Your answer is the best I found on Internet ! YES on the entire internet. I read 100s of articles. Thanks Man!

1 Like

Great! Thrilled to hear this worked out for you! :smiley: