Single Best Cycling Innovation To Date

This is what is so cool about us old guys and the new guys just getting in…really uber important things like contact points have been so refined they are over looked by the new guys (to a different degree). While important to us older guys not such a big deal to those new to it all with 100+ choices of quality shoes etc…I could say the same thing about a number of different sports.

2 Likes

I don’t miss natural chammys or 80s vintage cycling shoes.

I actually could live without the powermeter, and don’t see it as a game changer. It’s validated what a few smart coaches in cycling and swimming told me in the pre-HR monitor days, and what I read from Lydiard, rather than guided me towards a whole different paradigm.

2 Likes

Wavecel biggest innovation in the last 30 years!

Couldn’t resist.

4 Likes

Hahaha!

Non-crappy helmets would definitely be up there, after clipless.

I can think of two crashes I’ve had since 2005 that probably would have caused some serious brain damage if I hadn’t been wearing a helmet.

2 Likes

Yeah I agree on the PM’s. Nice but, having done it all before even HR monitors everything is pretty much the same. I guess validate is the perfect word to describe it.

Super interesting to read the newer guys responses compared to ours…

I have been riding consistently since 1976. To me one of the great innovations is aero everything. Also smart trainers and apps like trainer road and Swift. Sure makes it easier to sweat it out in the basement.

1 Like

I wouldn’t bring a butter knife to a bull pup rifle fight now, but for everyday riding, I wouldn’t cry if you took my Super Six EVO and left a lovely SLX DeRosa with 32h rims in the garage instead.

Heavy, yes, but what a plush ride, and brazed lugs and handbuilt wheels are still elegant (just obsolete).

I suppose my “sweet spot” era was 90-95. Lugged steel, Ergopower/STI, box rims, clipless, good helmets.

2 Likes

Clothing sure has come a long ways hasn’t it! Even in the last 10 years…

We just received our 2020 team clothing from Cuore. Their road suit (san remo style) just fits so unbelievably nice I just sort of smile every time I put it on. Aero and comfortable in all the right ways…

edit: just to add, while I too am an aero chaser, I think the whole aero frame marketing has been disingenuous. The way Cervelo first published the white paper on the S5 stating the frame will save you 30W still get me a little upset.

The wheel. kinda tough to be in this sport without them.

1 Like

Saddle…could be nippy otherwise

1 Like

Got my first proper bike at age 14, 1989. The down tube gears were horrible in hindsight but did at least click with gear changes.
Trying to brake for a corner and change gears was a challenge!
And then trying to unstrap your feet in time for a traffic light, with cold hands, well it usually ended badly.
Disc brakes were a game changer on mountain bikes, being able to brake in wet, muddy conditions without grinding the rim to nothing.

For me, the STI wins though, being able to brake and shift with your hands on the bars and in control wins, erm hands down.

1 Like

Riding since the early 80’s. Technical innovation ? clipless for me. Aesthetic? Fat tubes. I fell on my arse when I first clocked a Klein. It just looked like the future right there.

1 Like

Dropper Post for MTB has changed everything more than anything, except maybe rear suspension that works. I would rather ride a rigid mountain bike with a dropper post than a 5" travel bike without.

4 Likes

The internet, because that’s how we can argue with strangers about Shinano vs SRAM vs Campy vs discs vs rim vs carbon vs steel vs ti vs tubes vs tubular

3 Likes

Funny but, true. 1st world problems…

GPS with navigation. I love not having to stop when I don’t want to. Before there was always Lots of stopping for a look on the map, asking around for directions.
Also makes it so easy to explore new territories with other peoples routes.

1 Like

clipless pedals.

Indexed shifting, which eventually enabled electronic shifting, a close second.

1 Like

Dropper post and rear suspension…,end of debate. These two things were eye opening game changers.

2 Likes

before bluetooth was super accessible, i’d say ANT+

allowing multiple devices to sync up all at once for data was pretty awesome

1 Like