Silca Super Secret Chain Lube

No, never used the NFS unfortunately.

I just picked up the synergetic as well and will report back.

1 Like

Hi all. Looking for some advice. Have this super secret lube turning up this week and plan to install new chain (after deep clean) for the weekend. Conditions here where I am in the UK are damp this time of year, if that helps for context for the next bits. Typically with dry/wet lubes Iā€™d be using the Park Tool cleaner device plus citrus degreaser then reapply lube during my weekly/after ride maintenance.

With this drip on wax lube, how do you recommend I clean and relube after these dampish spring rides? Do I do what I have been doing? Ideally I donā€™t want to pull the chain off every week for a shake in spirits!

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Well Josh poertner responded to my request for which product is best for wet gravel with wax is the only option he stated. So ordered some and will be testing his product over my molten speed wax.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve settled on this as my next drip lube, the only question now is if itā€™s better than wax. Test results seem to put it on par/slightly ahead as far as wear goes. My plan was to buy the jar and be able to pour some into a dripper bottle so I could have some in the jar for immersion (initial treatment) and some in a bottle for maintenance

Very curious to see how you like it compared to MSW as that was my wax choice too @ABG

1 Like
  • This one. I finally got around to a simple clean of the chain on the trainer. I couldnā€™t get outside for a full wash and degrease, but I got it spanking clean inside and did a double dose of the new Synergetic.

• Just a couple of rides so far, but seems decent at the moment. Will check it closer at the end of the week to see how it fares for cleanliness and noise.

2 Likes

I should add one oddity. My bottles sat for a long time, and you can see the ā€œmagic stuffā€ sink to the bottom. I pulled the cap and stirred it all up again. I had to do this because the typical upside-down shaking (ala Rock and Roll Gold) didnā€™t get the gunk loose. So I stirred and scraped the bottom to get it all back in again. So worth checking that because I think that is part of the stuff that makes it work so well.

1 Like

Iā€™m trying Silca SS after using RnR Gold for so long. I like RnR, and I apply it the night before every ride because as you said, it wear off quickly. It does wonders for my cargo bike. I noticed how quickly RnR Gold wears off when I started using it on my indoor training bike, it would be quiet for the first hour then gradually get louder. Not usually an issue as most indoor rides around the hour mark, but Iā€™m hoping this SSS lube lasts a bit longer. Iā€™m not convinced on the effort it takes to remove and wax chains regularly, doing that every 300km would not be idea for my schedule or level interest. And based on the Zero Friction testing, the time/benefit analysis doesnā€™t stack up (for me).

I do not know why. His answer made change my order. I asked what lube for unbound wet or dry.

I am a fair weather road and MTB rider so I went for the Super Secret Jar. Iā€™m going to buy a dripper bottle and take some of the jar contents and bottle them so I can have immersion and a bottle as well. Excited as everyone seems to like this a lot I just need to go out and get a bunch of stuff to really clean my chain itā€™s a Dura ace with around 500 miles on it mostly indoor on the trainer

1 Like

One (kind of) related queryā€¦on the instructional videos from Silva for this on cleaning the chain (taking it off for full clean)ā€¦The guy uses about 4 bottles of degreaser (puts in bottle 1 - shakes it, removesz chain puts in bottle 2, shakesā€¦repeat etc.). He then (I think) puts chain in acetoneā€¦

2 queries - can you reuse the degreaserā€¦otherwise 4 bottles of degreaser for 1 chain seems heck of a waste. Also what is point of acetone, and can I skip that step if rinse it well with water and leave to dry for few hours?

Iā€™d do a final rinse with alcohol to displace any water and prevent rusting.

One thing you can do if boil your chain in soapy water. The boiling action seems to release a lot of dirt. Iā€™d only do this step after the chain is pretty darn clean. I did it on a new chain.

Use an old pan! Not your wifeā€™s good pan. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m going on 8 months with a Campagnolo chain. I didnā€™t use Silca but I used Smoove. Iā€™ve yet to reclean the chain - no rain rides and lots of indoor rides. Iā€™ve just added more Smoove to the links once a month.

Measuring wear with my Park chain checker Iā€™m still nowhere close to the .5 wear mark. Like Josh says in the video, this chain could last 10K miles.

Smoove says to simply clean it with citrus degreaser and reapply. Iā€™ve been hesitant but Iā€™m going to give that a try next.

2 Likes

Discount code for 15% off Silva website until 5th April
20EGGSTER21

2 Likes

Doing some reading on denatured alcohol and if I understand correctly itā€™s basically isopropyl with some additives to make it not desirable/palatable for consumption.
Has anyone used straight isopropyl to rinse their chain prior to applying the lube/wax?

Yes, I just use alcohol from the bathroom cabinet.

2 Likes

Perfect - thank you. Will start collecting bottles/ jars!

What the heck are they? :joy:

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping to find one of the dripper bottles at Michaelā€™s or the dollar store so I can bottle some of whatā€™s in the jar, came with a pretty generous amount.

Kind of weird that the thing has no instructions on it at all, doesnā€™t say how long to leave the chain submerged or cure time or anything at all. Gonna be using this as a guide just need to get all the cleaning stuff

Iā€™m going to get Turpentine and Denatured Alcohol
tonight. Iā€™ve got a chain on the bike now that Iā€™m hoping to treat but with a cure time of 24 hours Iā€™m trying to plan around rides I have this week/weekend. For the cleaning process with the two substances above, how long can I expect this to take between the multiple baths? Is it reasonable to get the cleaning knocked out in the morning and then treat the chain in afternoon and let it sit overnight and be ready to ride the day after?

So ideally if I do the clean tomorrow night after my ride, leave it to dry till Friday AM, then do the treatment and let it cure until Saturday morning I should be good to ride in the afternoon? Iā€™m just hoping I can get the chain clean enough to be able to give it a full 24hrs to cure before riding. I do keep it fairly clean between rides