Should I get a Tri Bike?

One other thing to consider is your power output generally will be lower in a TT position so you may also have to re-calibrate yourself for those SS efforts and how much power you can hold, which may defeat the point of getting the bike to do those efforts. I’m sure someone will defensively respond with something along the lines of “I make the same power in my TT position as road, this guy is clearly an idiot”. Can’t spell triggered without Tri

I am fun at parties. I am not offended, just bothered by bias and misinformation, however inadvertently it is offered.

And I said “That’s just plain wrong”. There is no general rule that tri bikes are less comfortable.

The rest of those millions never ride a tri bike, so we’ll never know if they would be comfortable on them.

Look how superior you feel. Do you sleep better at night knowing how much better a human you are than those pesky triathletes?

2 Likes

I love racing my tri bike but hate it for real world riding. Brakes and shifters in two different places is so annoying for stop signs and traffic lights. So outside of racing I mainly just ride it on the trainer.

1 Like

Nah, it just gets tiring hearing the same old stereotypes and general roadie superiority. Hell, I’m a hard-core roadie and never even considered myself a “triathlete” when I was doing Tri’s seriously and I find it annoying.

It is the same thing as saying Cat 5’s are “Crash 5’s”…

Some of the strongest guys on a bike I know are triathletes…

1 Like

I have nothing but the utmost respect for triathletes with a sense of humor. My experience confirms Cat 5 = Crash 5, YMMV.

3 Likes

Why should triathletes have to have a sense of humor about being constantly demeaned w/ stereotypes?

2 Likes

What stereotype? I said the answer to anything Tri is a no for me: lighthearted humor based on my own opinion, same as if I said “friends don’t let friends drink Miller Lite”. I didn’t say triathletes are annoying to be around, or how roadies think they own the road, or how MTB riders think they’re way more macho than they actually are, or how commuters can’t read stop signs or see red lights; those would be demeaning stereotypes. I didn’t think a little joke would offend some so easily, sorry guys.

Back to topic: OP, buy a Tri bike, if you find it uncomfortable or impractical then you are wrong in your experience and don’t know what you’re talking about because thousands of people ride Tri bikes every year

You should get a Tri bike, if you‘d like to do tris. Otherwise buy a TT bike (not every brand has both options). You wont need all these storing and hydration options.

Buy the TT if you want to get faster and

• if you already have a well fitting aero helmet

• if you already have a very well fitting aero suit

• if you are willing to spend time and money to find a very good position on the bike (if not, chances are high, that you won’t be faster, because you can’t produce the same watts, you can’t hold your position or you are simply not aero enough)

• if you are willing to train in this position A LOT to really be faster than with your road bike

Otherwise the TT bike wont make you faster or there are cheaper options to get faster.

Also consider that riding a TT bike on the road is more dangerous (out of competition) and you will see less of the beautiful scenery around you.

But: If all this doesn’t bother you, riding a well fitting TT is like the felt difference in speed between a MTB and a Roadbike. It just feels awesome!

I make more. But, I’m a crit guy so I was born triggered ya cat 5 noob. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: <----Just in case…that’s a joke.

Seriously though to the OP if it get’s you out riding more it’s worth it. Every time I get on mine I want to push it though. So beware you can easily over do it imo/e. That zone 2 ride always seems to end up SSt with some higher punchy sections.

2 Likes

If you’re under the impression that you can buy a tri bike and suddenly snatch up a bunch of KOM’s because the bike will be super fast, I feel you are overstating the performance of the bike and understating the athletes who ride them.

2 Likes

Good point…it took me a LONG time to learn how to ride in Z2/3 on my TT / Tri bike. Even now I still fight the urge to constantly push it.

2 Likes

To put this quote into context…a couple years ago a friend was training for his first Ironman, and he was very active on socials about his journey. He made a comment about how much harder it was for him because “I ride a road bike, I don’t have one of those fancy triathlon bikes that basically pedal for you.” Basically insinuating that he works hard because he’s on a road bike, and anyone who rides a tri bike is essentially riding an e-bike and it’s easy for them.

That comment pissed off a lot of his triathlon friends.

Thanks everyone for the replies! I have much to digest and am taking everyone’s opinions seriously.

I’m leaning towards pulling the trigger on it, simply because… YOLO. Maybe I’ll even do a 70.3 at some point.

I see the bike as a challenge and not a cheat code. Note that I carefully worded my OP to state “Strava Segments” rather than “Strava KOMs” :wink:. The goal is to keep chipping away at my times, not necessarily top the leaderboards. It’s not that I care that much about Strava anyway, but it’s nice to have that dangling carrot.

4 Likes

Yikes, sounds like they maybe bought the wrong bike! I love my tri bike it’s pretty much all I care to ride.

1 Like

If you are excited about it and it gets you on the bike then do it!

My life with fitness started with running (lost 60 pounds that way). Eventually I did a tri and loved it enough to look for a cheap bike (my budget was extremely tight back then). Raced a $300 bike for several years, qualified for nationals several times on that bike. Lots of miles. And I LOVED riding in the TT position.

Now I race XC, and most of my riding is on a roadie or my 170mm enduro bike. I would like to find another TT bike in the near future (albiet much nicer) just to enjoy that sensation of speed again.

1 Like