Short intense period before starting base? Chad's short FTP boost plan

I would ditch the SS during your block, especially if the only reason is to keep the TSS up. If you’re doing max aerobic intervals correctly, they are HARD. Plus group rides are usually hard too. I think you’re better off with a longer z1 or z2. If you don’t have time for a long ride then sure look at tempo or SS, but otherwise I’d ditch it. If you have extra energy, make your interval sessions longer.

In terms of intervals, for the max aerobic you’re maximizing time at Vo2max (the physiological state, not the power level). Whatever YOU personally are able to best execute, feel free to do. There’s no one best or only right way to do it.

2 Likes

Indeed. Usually do that in the fall when I do a short power focus.

2 Likes

Started my own 4 weeks period for this.
Going on an 18min and 24min work pattern
Started with Bluebell and Bluebell + 1 all turned up to around 105-6%
This week I am did Dade -1, thought I was dying and Saturday is Dade +1
Next week is Shortoff varients, which at this point I may end up changing if Dade is kicking my ass this much, not sure I will be ready for a whole extra minute to it.
Thinking of bringing it down to 115% then the week after try the full 120%
Originally I had Ansel Adams scheduled for week 4

3 Likes

I’ve never done this type of periodization to kick start a block, but I’m going to try it as a season opener after my 10 week strength training block. I’m looking to see how I respond to a 2-week VO2 intense block prior to starting a 12-week Sweet Spot Base block.

I’m opting for short-duration VO2max interval workouts because I find them much more mentally doable than 3-5 minute intervals, and I think for the purposes of this experiment achievability is important.

4 Likes

Ok, dude…this is getting ridiculous.

I’m doing the same! :rofl:

Taking 1-2 weeks off after 4 weeks of Z6/FRC training (:hot_face:), then a 2 week VO2 block to see if I can kick it up even more before filling in the gap with as much SS as I can.

But unlike you (finally!) I’ll probably do longer steady state intervals. I think dropping down big intensity from anaerobic to VO2 will seem super easy.

Mentally, those 30/30s etc would be too much, too many interval starts flogging the brain…at least that’s my current thinking, which is a good sign that I’m nearing burn-out!

Good luck to us!

2 Likes

Ha ha - just planned for almost exactly the same about 20 min ago…must be that time of year :wink:

2 weeks off the bike eating cake, then 2 weeks on/1 week off VO2 stuff.

2 Likes

Don’t forget we’ll need two weeks worth of cake details in the #cakedoping thread!

2 Likes

Lemon drizzle yesterday - king of cakes!

Hello,
I don´t want to create another thread but I think this could fit in here.
I´d like to join TR, but I cannot decide when to start the programme. My season is over (mid april to end of september). This autumn and winter I want to dedicate to structured indoor training and weight/core training. I want to choose mid volume SS base (12 wks) followed by sustained power build (8 wks) and then specialty phase (8 wks). This is 28 weeks in total. I assume I want to start my specialty phase at the beginning of the season (mid april) to get the most benefits from the gains and not to peak too early. This would mean to start the programme on the 23. 11. 20 to begin my specialty on the 12. 04. 21. I was thinking about extending the base phase, but I read it is not recommended. I could also peak before the season starts and repeat the build-specialty. Then I should expect a drop in my FTP I guess. Or should I wait until end of november? Have you got any suggestions what to do?
Thank you

You’re over-thinking it. Start now - sign up for TR, put your goal events for next season on the calendar, let Plan Builder do the rest. Then if you feel you must tweak the plan it gives, take it from there (though if you’re new to TR I’d just follow the plan and see how it goes).

5 Likes

2 Likes

I am gonna sign up, test myself and use plan builder right away and will see. As you say, there are many options and eventual adjustments of the training plan if anything happens and I have to change my training. Thanks.

3 Likes

Decided to try this out for fun(?), interested how anyone else felt around the second week. I can definitely feel the fatigue building, todays workout was tough.

I’m hoping to do 3 weeks but will gauge how I feel on Monday.

3 Likes

How did you get on with this in the end - did you do the 3rd week? Interested in what benefits you felt you got from it or learnings for another time?

I see you actually did what Chad mentioned so am particularly interested in your experience, as someone that just hates VO2 work but badly needs to get it done! :rofl:

Thanks

Resurrecting this thread, as I’m looking to build a 4 week VO2 block into my program for next year. Historically, on the trainer, I can handle VO2 interval sets up to ~1 minute in length pretty well, but I die with 90 second or longer.

Thoughts on this proposed progression (yes, it’s only 3 weeks, I’m not sure if the 4th week will be an “on” week or a recovery)? I’m planning on 2 days / week (adding a 3rd if I feel good) for the VO2 sessions, and then adding in easy (<= 60% FTP) endurance workouts for the rest of the days.

I think your issue would be similar to mine. I am good with the short on/off but struggled with one like Spencer. I can see with the progression levels it is now a 7.5PL so that would explain why it was more challenging. With the PLs now I find it easier to pick your plan out. If you look at sustained intervals in the VO2 area there are some options . The easier levels actually start at 106% of FTP which really shouldnt be too bad with a correct FTP.

Something like Inspiration or Lerket are 3.75 minutes at 106% FTP. Personally I would look at something like Lamont 4.0PL which is 4x5 at 106% FTP. It is split into 2.5minutes with a 45second break. I would then go from there.

I think it is better to work on what we believe is our weakness.

I used to struggle with anything over 2-min @ 120%. I think my FTP was 10-15w too high. With a properly set FTP 4-6 min @ 115-120% is very doable, yes, it’s painful, but I don’t come grinding to a halt like I used to.

Re-evaluate your FTP and don’t be hesitant to drop the intensity up to 5%. There’s a tremendous aerobic benefit to doing longer VO2 intervals. More time @ VO2.

Alternatively, do 2-3 short-short VO2 workouts and then give something like Spencer -4 (4x3 min @ 120%) a try.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I will add in some longer, but at a lower VO2 level

On the FTP, I’m pretty sure mine is set right, at least for out door rides. I’ve done long outdoor rides (2 or 2.5 hour) at IF’s around 0.9 plus rides with longer (10 or 15 minute) hill repeats at 107%. I just know that for me, going hard on the trainer is harder to hold than the same effort outdoor.