Shimano SPD-SL Pedal Longevity

Hey pedal people, mechanics, tech junkies…I have a set of Ultegra PD-6800’s on my road bike and Dura Ace PD-9000’s on the TT. I think they have been on my bikes since 2014 or 2015. I ride approx 10,000 miles/year. Just came across a good deal for a set of 9100’s but, if mine are still spinning smooth is there any reason to buy? Or just keep servicing until…?

Not really a good reason to ditch em, but if theyve got that many miles on em, I think its fair to say youve gotten your moneys worth! Totally worth keeping them and service regularly, or buy the new ones and keep a spare or give em to someone that wants to try clipless?

I donated some old egg beaters to the local NICA team and they were super appreciative! Something to consider if you get the new ones and dont see any reason for a spare

1 Like

Excellent idea!

I’ve never had DA pedals but I tend to wear out the nose of my right pedal way before the internals. I’ve just replaced an Ultegra pair which I think saw at most 20,000 miles.

1 Like

In my experience Shimano pedals last an absurdly long time. A riding buddy of mine put some 12ish-year-old 105 pedals that looked all ratty on his new bike. I asked him how he could commit such a crime. He just replied that they still worked perfectly. I believe him.

I had a pair of half-and-halfs on my mountain bike, and I wanted to get new ones after they wore out. They never wore out and I put on Crankbrothers pedals, because I wanted to try their clip-on pedals. I prefer Crankbrothers for feel, but they aren’t as put-on-and-forget as Shimano pedals are.

1 Like

Meaning where the front nose of the cleat “clips” in? How was it worn out???

I used the cheapest SPD-SLs for about 12 years. I only stopped using them because the pedal body was so worn out that it caused to cleat to have excessive vertical and side to side play. I never needed to service the bearings.

OTOH my DuraAce R9100 pedals needed a bearing service after about a year.

1 Like

Typically the nose meaning the bit at the front of the pedal. Each time I have worn it out it has noticeably become thin, I also start to feel the excess movement as I pedal and clipping out starts to occur unexpectedly. This time I wore out it and the rear clip of the pedal too.

1 Like

That’s nuts. I have the same pedals with I’m guessing 70,000 miles in one pair and no noticeable wear like yours. A little on the rear I must confess. I assume your riding in the rain causes grit to effectively act like sandpaper on the pedal. I ride in bone dry conditions for the vast majority of rides…

1 Like

The metal front never wears out IME, only the newer plastic bodies do. Also the bearings are all fully serviceable so they can run forever if you keep them lubed and preset correctly set.

1 Like

I’ve worn out a metal fronted 105 pedal too :-/

1 Like

Really? Did you ride them in rain? My cleats always wear in the front before my pedals. I do use mtb pedals primarily in the winter though

1 Like

In the UK so that would be a yes. I forget when I got them but in their early life they probably saw a lot of gritty roads in Scotland too which wears things faster again.

1 Like