Shimano hydraulic brake hose compatibilty

Hi,

I’m thinking of upgrading my 11 speed shimano to 12 speed 105 di2. I’m wondering if I can keep the existing rs805 calipers on and use the existing brake hose with the new 105 di2 r7100 shifter. Would this work or do i need to buy new calipers and cable hose to work with the new 105 di2 shifters?

TIA
Sandy

I did it the other way around. 12spd Calipers on 11spd STIs. Works perfectly fine.

1 Like

If it’s BH59 hose, the upgrade would be to BH90 which has a smaller internal diameter for better performance. I think it would work either way but if you are replacing the levers you might as well replace the hoses and calipers too IMO?

1 Like

The calipers are an upgrade apparently, so might be worth it for the extra £120? and it will match

1 Like

Yeah definitely check this. R7000 series calipers are a straight swap but I think RS805 are old enough that they came before Shimano standardised all their road/gravel hyrdaulics.

If it were my bike I’d say it’s probably worth it to upgrade RS805 to 7100, but I don’t think I’d bother if I had 7000 on it already.

Also even though there are deals to be had on outgoing 7000/8000/9100 parts I think I’d pay the extra to make sure I got current 7100/8100/9200 calipers. The design changes to prevent rotor rubbing etc. don’t make enough difference to be worth the effort of an upgrade by themselves, but I think they are significant enough to be worth the cost difference on any new installation.

1 Like

Wish I’d read this last week… just last night finished installing RS7020 levers as a replacement for broken RS505 but didn’t pay the extra for new calipers… there was a significant price difference.

I left the old BH59 hoses in place instead of installing newer BH90. w_n is correct that the internal diameter is different, which means that you HAVE to use the correct barb, but the outer diameter is the same so the olives are the same, and old/new hoses/levers/calipers will work together.

2 Likes

Check compatibility of Shimano components - 2023-2024 SHIMANO Product Information Web

1 Like

Yeah I think OP probably has a better value proposition because they’re buying 7100 series shifters so can get them as a set with 7100 calipers (presumably for less money than buying parts individually). You wouldn’t have had access to any package-deal pricing though because you’d have wanted shifters from the 7000 series but calipers from the 7100 series. Not enough of an upgrade to be worth it if you’d only gone to 7000 series calipers IMO. I just meant to steer OP away from possibly seeing 7000 series calipers on closeout somewhere and thinking it was a really great deal. Hope that helps settle the FOMO!

2 Likes