Seeking examples: Strength training for best year?

Sorry part of this does not fit @batwood14 criteria for examples, but I don’t completely get how you and @batwood14 found the fascat resistance too complicated. Maybe I’m too much of a geek with a spreadsheet, I did that plan during summer 2020 and then 9 months of sprint oriented training before giving up the idea I could make my sprint hit 1500W… maybe those coaches that said it was a 2 year process to train as a sprinter were right :joy: either that or I needed a time machine to go back to my 40s.

In pursuit of more volume, and for those seeking a less complicated plan, this past year I’ve focused on doing the 4 movements here:

Pretty simple. Thats one possibly relevant example for you @batwood14 and I don’t know what your training composition exactly looked like with Steve Neal but suspect there was a lot of endurance and long tempo.

While it feels like I get a small boost of endurance from the strength, the real gains seem to be coming from slowly pushing up volume as I’m closing in on averaging 8 hours/week for the entire year. When I get tired and need a break its time for some cutting back a bit on volume and doing sprintintervals to keep some of the top-end warm. Power numbers are nearly back to my best year ever (2017) which was my 2nd year training at 55 y.o. Last two years its been consistency, slowly increasing volume, and not letting fitness drop much during breaks (I take 3 or 4 small breaks a year). Its feeling like 2023 I’m setup to exceed 2017 with only slightly more volume, mostly by training consistently and smarter.

2 Likes