I struggle to find out, if my case is normal, or I have some weakness I should take care of. AFAIK:
- heart rate and Vo2 intake pretty much correlates each other
- micro bursts are just easier version of doing VO2 max intervals
- that means, at the end of a well executed VO2max interval or micro bursts set, the heart rate should be very high
HR can be affected by lot of things, but I see descripted behaviour for few years now:
- my max heartrate is 204, threshold heart rate around ?180?
- I have big trouble finishing 3 min VO2max intervals (for example Kaiser) on 120% FTP, usually I need to decrease intensity (mostly to 115%) after first two intervals. My heart rate at the end of intervals is usually less than 190 bpm.
- I have big trouble increasing heart rate while micro bursts. Usually I am overriding workount intensity to 105-110% while doing micro bursts. Heart rates at the end of the sets are around 180 bpm. Today, I did Bluebell +2 on workount intensity 105% and average HR at the end of the intervals was 173.
- breathing while doing micro bursts is very heavy, legs are burning
- my powermeters are calibrated and precise
Why is HR low when bursts gets though and breathing heavy? Why do I need to increase workount intensity while doing micro bursts, but I need to decrease intensity for 3min intervals? Is that expected behaviour? Should I train and monitor some aspect of my performance?