Road tubeless experiences

Yes $9.99

http://www.dynaplug.com/racermount.html

1 Like

80-85 PSI for 28C tires is extremely high pressure unless you are around 300 lbs including the bike.
No wonder they didn’t seal

3 Likes

I don’t use a dyna plug but the one I used a tyre worm on my bike (I have used one on a mates bike too). The trimmed down worm was good for 20-30 miles at pace but then it started to come out every few minutes. It might’ve been the untrimmed bit started to get pulled out more and more. I reckon the less well trimmed it is the sooner that’ll happen.

I’ve used Stan’s dart in my road tyre, it was fine until I changed tyres a few months later. The dart has some sort of leaves that stick out, I was curious what was going to happen with them, but they didn’t really change much.

As it happens I’ve used muc off sealant which is pink, and also had problems sealing small holes like this. Folk here generally recommend Orange Seal as a safe bet for sealant, maybe swap out and see if that cures it.

3 Likes

Not a dynaplug, but last summer I got a slice about 3/8" on a (new, cough) gp5000tl 28mm.
I used the larger of the 2 strip sizes and did not trim. There is an equal amount of the plug inside the tire. It matted down on its own and slowly ablated away over time. Worked so well I continued to run the tire all year and into this spring until the tread was completely spent. No doubt I was tempting fate running it so long, but my experience is plugs are quite robust.

5 Likes

For those who don’t know, this plug type method of patching tubeless flats is nothing new or novel. Its how car tires are patched and has been in widespread use since tubeless car tires became standard equipment in the 1950’s.

Tubeless tires and hydraulic disc brakes - 100+ year old technology has finally made it to your bike :wink:

2 Likes

It is possible it was Muckoff and if that’s the case, your experience mimics mine to a T. Muckoff cannot handle road tire pressures, even with holes as small as a pinhole. I’ve personally found Orange Seal Endurance to work well for me. I run 25 mm tires at 70 psi and it’s been a night and day difference in my experience.

1 Like

Thanks!

Me + the bike is about 270. I’ve run it lower bit it feels a bit squishy on steeper climbs.

Not sealing is one thing, but in talking to a few folks, that fact that I didn’t even see any sealant coming out the puncture is telling me the probably didn’t put enough sealant to start… that and carry my dart next time.

FWIW - this month’s Bicycling did a sealant comparison. I was disappointed they only used a mountain bike set-up, but what I noted is that some of the sealants need to be replaced as often as every 2 weeks. The average was probably about every 3 months.

1 Like

As @RydeRuff12 noted, if it has been a while since you topped up the sealant, it could have dried out entirely so none of it would come out. Find out which sealant the shop used and check the manufacturer specs for how often you need to refill the tire.

In the case, it was a new tire and the shop installed it the week before I flatted. It may have been the type and they may not have added enough.

I’ve been going with the more is better method on sealant. I don’t want to get stuck somewhere because I tried to get by with 1 ounce of sealant. Plus I want a lot of leeway for evaporation.

Orange seal recommends 1-2 ounces for a road tire. I have been putting in 100ml (3 ounces).

3 Likes

Per tyre???

I’m using 40ml of the regular Orange seal, and they recommend topping off the sealant once a month (30-45 days):

That has worked well on 26c, 32c, and 35c road tires.

4 Likes

This is really important. I always use more than recommended. I currently use 120ml of squirt sealant per tire. I hear everyone has no success with finish line. I found that I had to use near double what they recommended and had a lot of success with finish line.

Also as others have mentioned you need to check your levels every so often. And if you use a latex based sealant, I’d recommend changing it every 3-4 months. Over time the latex sticks to the tire and leaves only water moving around in the tire. This can easily be checked with a syringe through the valve stem.

After a bunch of experiments, I’ve just used the “keep adding more” method. After a year on a rear GP5000TL, I really only had a 10 gram ball of latex snot in there and some liquid sealant.

I did try checking levels with the syringe through the valve stem but it seemed easier just using the sloshing sound method. Maybe I’ll try removing current sealant again as it’s time to top up.

2 Likes

I use a “dipstick” just like checking oil in your car.

1 Like

I’ve tried that too. If what was said above is true (about latex dying leaving you only water) then the dipstick method might not tell you that your sealant will no longer work.

When I swapped my last tire, I only saw sealant inside, not water. I use Orangeseal. Maybe other sealants aren’t as good and separate easier?

1 Like