Road tubeless experiences

Yea, they fit on my Hunt rims with no levers. Never had problem.

I’ve been using GP5000TLs this outdoor season (~2000 km). Did another ride this week, everything was fine, business as usual. One hour after the ride I noticed that the rear tyre was flat, and there as a small puddle of sealant on the floor The puncture must have happened right at the end of the ride? Anyway, I pumped the tyre to normal pressure and whirled it a while. The tyre has kept the pressure fine. A question: should I add some sealant after that incident? And how often should one add sealant anyway?

You should add some, at least as much as you lost and maybe 1/2 as much again. Depending on the sealant brand and climate conditions top every 3-5 months

1 Like

For 3 years, I had bontrager wheels set up tubeless with regular rim tape. It was a pain to set up tires. I bought the bontrager rim strips upon advice from @mcneese.chad. Made a huge difference. So easy now to set up tires (three different tires have been a piece of cake).

2 Likes

If you were to read all the tubeless threads, I’ve been the biggest advocate of using the correct rim tape, including Bontrager.

I’ve always said to use the bontrager rim strip when using the complete bontrager package (wheel, tire, tape). That quote was in reference to someone having trouble with that setup when switching to a non Bontrager tire. I recommend scrapping the bontrager strip and using rim tape so that they could have more control of the tolerances by controlling the number of layers.

You’d have to use a lot of layers of rim tape to match the thickness of a bontrager rim strip. I think the bontrager wheels (some of them anyway) are designed so that they only get to the right size for tubeless with the rim strip installed.

I should add that my note above referred my bontrager road bike wheels. I’ve had the same experience with my bontrager MTB wheels. The bontrager rim strips make the process of setting up tubeless so much easier. 15 mins per wheel instead of several hours.

@rjessop can try removing the bontrager rim strips, but I bet that will make the problem worse. At least that’s my experience with 2 sets of wheels and 7+ different tires.

And that is my point too. Use all 3 pieces of the Bontrager kit. But if you reread my posts, I was talking about using rim tape instead for NON Bontrager tires. Different manufacturers have different tolerances with their tires. So some might require more layers of tape, some less.

Only parts of my posts keep getting quoted without referencing the rest. :triumph:

So had my first tubeless puncture yesterday about 40 miles into a century. A pretty good rip, just under a half inch cut. Sealant wasn’t doing it but one Dynaplug and it was totally sorted. Have to say that was really straightforward and beats swapping tube or patching.

Front tire, so did get a massive sealant shower over me and the bike though…

5 Likes

I had a set of Schwalbe One tires that were insanely hard to get on, even with 100psi, I could not get the bead over the lip, no dice, bye.

Yesterday I put on a set of Vittoria Corsa Control 28s without levers, sealed fine with sealant, and I’ll ride them later today. Very happy with the ease of installation. They are quite thin though and I won’t be riding them on vacation or work trips to place with pointy flora, still going to run the Bontrager AW2 tire that I’ve been running for over a year with a few punctures but never had to pump a tire on a bike ride with those. I’d like to know who makes that tire.

Update: They hold air well. Front a bit better than the rear so far but I wasn’t very thorough there and it could stand a couple of rounds of shaking the sealant around after slightly overinflating (AKA the tubeless dance) to tune them up.

Look pretty sweet too!

Also I should clarify; I long since sold the leaky Bontrager/Hutchinson combo along with the bike they were on. By all means please continue with tips and suggestions though, if only for posterity as I’m unable to try them out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I have a random question. Had to replace a Vittoria Corsa G2.0 TLR, and the new one is max psi of 100, where the original was 87. Anyone know what is up with this? I sent Vittoria an email but no reply yet.

Been riding tubeless for 2 years now and love it covered about 6000 miles and no punctures. Changing tyres no problem using mavic yksion pro on mavic wheels. Using same tyres on prime wheelset and again perfect. Yksion have negative reviews online but I honestly have had no problem apart from usual tyre wear/replacement at regular intervals.
Enjoy your riding!

1 Like

I think my Vittoria Corsa controls TLR’s have two max pressures printed on them. One with tubes and the other tubeless. Are you reading the tube pressure and remembering the tubeless one?

Hmm very weird. Don’t know why to say about that.

Maybe they have changed the assumed rim width to a wider rim? My Mavic UST tyres have the same type of drop in max pressure going from 17c to 19c rims.

It makes sense to state the max for the 19c (or larger?) to be safe a suppose?

The future of installing road tubeless wheels… :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

gmf1DbW

4 Likes

Ive had that exact thing happen on a tubed mtb tire with my head within a foot of the tire. Sounded like a shotgun went off in the middle of town. Greyish blue smoke cloud. Business workers all came out wondering what the hell happened. I was walking circles, stumbling around, trying to figure out where the hell I was. I’ve been 100% tubeless since then. :rofl:

I am looking at getting a new wheelset to replace my stock ones and go tubeless at the same time. Has anyone had experience with Light Bicycle AR36s and either gp5000s or vittoria corsa g2.0s? Just want to see how painful mounting them will be :stuck_out_tongue: