Road bike for trainer - ideas?

I’m looking to get a cheaper, and available road bike for my smart trainer set up. Currently I have my Trek 520 on there but I want to reclaim this as my town bike. Any suggestions on something with solid drivetrain that won’t break the bank for a trainer? Used or new.

Triban RC 100

2 Likes

I got mine for $300 off Craigslist. 8spd 105 and a stem from the spare parts bin and it’s been awesome.

3 Likes

I am retrieving my 20 year old Giant TCR from my son shortly. He was thinking of upgrading it but while it is still a solid bike, at best it can fit 25C tires and it would need to be a bit more versatile so the cost of new parts vs a new bike doesn’t make sense. I will be upgrading the old 9-spd 105 (which still works fine) to some 105-5800 11-spd parts from the parts bin.

1 Like

I have my 2003 Airborne Ti with 2013 ultegra on my trainer. It has the same issues @ZeroGravity pointed out in that 25mm is as fat as it goes. Just have to remember to re-inflate the front tire every couple of months. Honestly it hasn’t been off the trainer since early last year.

If you’re going to do ERG mode on a direct drive trainer, just make sure the rear mech shifts even though you’re probably not going to use it much, if at all in TR. you might use it if you free ride or badge hunt on Zwift though.

2 Likes

Trek 2200

Any old bike will do, but keep
In mind alloy handlebar, stems and any other stainless steel thing connecting with alloy will be susceptible to corrosion. Especially alloy handlebars!

2 tips:

• buy a cheap carbon handlebar, swap this for the alloy one. (Google: galvanic corrosion handlebar)
  • use Tef-gel (marine grease) on any bolt that needs to be adjusted and/or tightened

But any bike where you can swap these out for standard non proprietary parts will do.

Great idea to give an older bike a new life as designated trainer bike👌

1 Like

Your 520 is more of a touring bike with upright seating. If that works look for something similar. A race geometry bike maybe uncomfortable on the trainer.

1 Like

Tradition dictates that your old bike IS the trainer bike, your town bike is a shiny new steel framed Italian steed.

2 Likes

Good point! Thx

I’d go with something used, 10-speed or newer, aluminum frame, rim brakes (= cheaper), but importantly fit your favorite handlebars and saddle. Also, the geometry should suit you.

3 Likes