Reusing Master Links?

iMatt66, from experience on breaking 2 chains in CX events when using the chain tool, i just use the tool for removing links, and always use the Wipperman connex link to join them, This is on 6 bikes and so I keep two chains per bike and rotate them as necessary, putting them back in their own ex ice-cream tub after re waxing. Note old 9 speed chains are fine for CX on old cassettes and offer more clearance than 10 or 11 speed.

1 Like

There is a good video on chain wear from ozcycle on youtube.

I’ve been using the KMC master link (11sp Shimano Dura Ace) for several years, but now I’ve stopped. At inspection, my master link was no longer a link… its a hook. The black line, seen on the attached image isn’t dirt, its a broken link. It was applied using the proper tools and never removed. If I recall correctly, there is less than 1000 km on that chain.

I was lucky to see it before it broke. That link would probably not sustain a hard sprint or two…

I’ll keep one in my saddle bag and I can use them on my trainer setup, but I’ve stopped using them outside. If you subscribe to the idea that the master link is the weakest part of the chain, I can’t understand why anyone would reuse them consider the possible consequence.

1 Like

Does it matter if the arrow aren’t going the the right way on the shimano link?

its a friction fit, so as long as you cant remove it by hand, my vote is its fine. Broken many chains, yet to break one at the master link.

That said, if its going to be something on your mind every time you ride, theyre only like $4-5, so cheap mental insurance

1 Like

I had a chain snap on me recently, first time since I started riding seriously. Had some sprints on the books in the first half of the ride, chain started skipping/“chattering” during my first sprint, so I backed off. Gave it one more go, and it again started skipping/chattering in the wind-up. Called it good on the sprints for the day. About one minute later, while crossing a busy junction, chain gave up the ghost. Thankfully it didn’t happen in the sprint, or in such a way to buck me off of the bike.

To you point, though, the re-used quick link didn’t fail. Weirdly, the link next to the quick link failed. So, I had to limp home slowly with two quick links virtually right next to each other after slapping on the spare I keep with me in my saddle bag.

1 Like

Kept re-using the same SRAM masterlink from a chain is new, until it’s worn out for years now. Never had a problem, and these are SRAM chains that last a long time, and I take them off frequently for cleaning. So each masterlink I have owned, have had dozens of connections.

I re-use mine. Only chain I ever snapped was on my CX bike and it wasn’t at the quick link.

Important note here… you can’t use 1/2 Sram Eagle and 1/2 Flattop links. They line up but don’t engage.

I’ve re-used 11s KMC links many times without any problems but the one time I re-used a KMC 12s it kept snapping open

KMC has reusable and non reusable missing links, might be a factor there. The non reusable ones have a little indent next to the pin

1 Like

Good to know how to spot the difference. Seems like 10 and 11s kmc chains are sold with reusable links whereas 12s chains are sold with non reusable links