hey folks wondering if yall have an opinion on this situation…
crashed a week ago last saturday & had my 2010 trek madone 5.9 checked out by the local carbon repair shop out of an abundance of caution. unfortunately they found damage on both the chainstay & seatstay, with possible carbon damage on the bottom tube near the cable stop. bill is around $600 with $200 more if the bottom tube is actually not a cosmetic crack.
way I see it, I’ve got 3 options:
pay the $600 and chalk it up to stupidity fee (crash was my fault & avoidable)
ditch this frame & try and replace it with a nice rim frame ($1k?)
relegate this bike to the trainer as-is & get a new disc bike (allez gang probably) ($2200)
Before the crash were you already eyeing a new bike?
sadly i was eyeing picking up a MTB having to put that on hold now (at least for a little) now that my wallet is needed for road.
While you can repair carbon, it won’t be ‘as new’, and it’ll always be on your mind.
fwiw i’m not too worried about the carbon repair itself - i have good faith in the repair shop, heard a lot of good things from fellow riders.
think my question largely lies in whether i should think of this as either spending $600 on a bike that was only worth $800 to begin with (& thus not worth it), or if I should view this as spending $600 to keep my existing bike versus spending more than that for a different bike.
I’m also considering picking up a temp bike, mid 2010s aluminum for sub $1k, transfer some parts over, and hold me over til next year sometime when covid is over and everyone realizes they hate cycling.
I would not risk using this frame on trainer, or on the road, in fact on anywhere.
I would get a new frame and transfer the finishing kit and wheels onto it .
Or ,get another bike, depending on your budget.
Hope you were ok, and not badly injured!