Red Hook Crit Series cancelled for 2019

After a lot of rumors, RHC (aka David Trimble) officially posted the cancellation of RHC series for 2019 and no definite timeline for a return. There were some reports of poor management but no matter what the series definitely brought fixed gear racing closer to the mainstream. Time will tell if it comes back or something fills the void.

From FB post:

After careful consideration of our options we will be taking 2019 off. Instead our efforts will be focused on raising support and developing plans for the continuation of the Red Hook Criterium Championship Series in the years to come. We appreciate every athlete, sponsor, volunteer, photographer, videographer, staff member, and fan who helped us build the Crit into what it is today and look forward to the next time we can bring everyone back together at the RHC

Update from Velonews:

The title sponsorship with Rockstar games ended with the 2018 series and the loss of sponsorship money and major increases in venue and other fees were the major factors. The intent is to regroup in 2019 and restart in 2020.

Oh nooo! Thanks for posting this!

:slightly_frowning_face:

Awwww man. I really dug the in-race footage and the analysis. Anyone know anything about the “poor management” rumors? :frowning:

The full race videos got me through a few TR workouts and even a ramp test.

Maybe more complaints but call it what you will. I read something most recently about a team pulling out because the race organizer won’t follow his own written rules, favouring certain teams, rider not getting prize money. Maybe sour grapes, maybe the result of a privately run series that Trimble still runs like a local race or maybe it’s no different than any other races.

Trimble has been trying out gravel rides lately. Maybe he and his team will dip their hands into that for the new race format.

My complete conjecture - it got too big to be a one-man show and Trimble didn’t want to give up any control. It was OK until the Rockstar money ran out but he couldn’t attract a new title sponsor.

Rumor is the event costs grew and the sponsor revenues stayed the same.