Recovery time after VO2 max workouts

Did bashful +2 today as part of my build. Got through the workout, but always feel like I want to curl up in the fetal position for like 30 minutes after workouts like these.

On the other hand I can do over unders or longer threshold workouts and can hop off the bike and be good to go.

Guessing it has something to do with my background as I spent 10+ years as a triathlete training mostly threshold and below and very little specific V02 work.

Anyone else experience the same thing?

Complete opposite. VO2, hop off the bike, not even hungry.
Long threshold, over unders. Character from a Zombie movie.

CX, MTBer meets Triathlete. Hi!

7 Likes

I think all of us experience certain levels of fatigue/freshness after each workout based on many factors, including prior experience (as you have suggested) and fatigue/restfulness going in. The key, however, is regardless of how you feel, to make sure you do proper recovery, including needed cool down (to get rid of any lactic acid build up particularly from threshold and above workouts), post workout nutrition and IMO stretching and rolling.

1 Like

Going to revive this topic for the same question.

I started a vo2max block last week. I’m using Optimized Intervals in WKO5 which suggests:

3-8 reps x 5.5min @ 110%

I did 5x5.5min. I completed the workout no problem. I even hard started the intervals. But I’ve been run down and tired for four days now. I’m finally feeling some energy return but I’m still not 100%.

I can’t be run down for half the week for a whole month. Should I start off slower with 3 reps - 15 minutes of total work and see how that goes? Or maybe try some blocks of short vo2 intervals?

The original idea was to do the workout maybe twice a week. That obviously isn’t going to work.

Don’t!

Yes!

If you’re trying to elicit VO2max improvements, all out, high cadence, longish (3-6min) intervals is the way to go.

25 minutes is too much for most people.

4x5 would be a good workout. 3 x 5.5 if you insist on using optimized intervals (DON’T!). Check out any of two VO2max threads, I think the latest one is the self-design one.

4 Likes

I tried 2 minute intervals (6x2min) - hard start - 115rpm. I listened to the Empirical podcast where Kolie recapped all the listener questions about VO2 intervals and he said that even at 2 minutes you are probably getting most of the adaptation. I did 5 and it felt rather doable so I did a 6th.

I’ll use this as a test to see how long it takes to recover.

KM, also talked about prescribing a mixed block (1 vo2 workout + 1 ftp workout per week) for athletes that don’t take to VO2 block. I may just forge on with a mixed block.

I do this with my masters, lower volume, and newer athletes, and sometimes with the ones who are being stubborn in terms of gains and may need more VO2 work over a longer period than they are able to handle from one focused block.

1 Like