Realistic FTP for 68 year old male

I hit the big 6-0 this year. I’ve been cycling consistently since early 2016 after getting tired of getting sided from long distance running injuries and having to swim infinite amounts of laps to stay fit. Cycling has been a great experience and have been able to ride the fast club rides at 20+ mph with the occasional go zones, all with riders mostly younger than me. I started using TR as an alternative for outdoor riding during the really cold and windy or rainy days, but I find myself using TR more and more for the last 2 years only during the week because of time management and the need to do productive workouts without the usual stop light interruptions. I’m on a mid-volume plan with the goal of being as fit as possible to ride with the faster groups without getting dropped. I really enjoy being able to push hard and efficiently and not have to worry much about not being able to keep up. I have been talked into joining a racing team, but i don’t have time to drive out of town to do races and i have to manage all risks from being on a bike as my livelihood depends on my hands, and ability to fix the human body. I’m still curious about how much i can improve my overall riding strength. I feel my FTP of 238 is not that impressive compared to some other folks and have made some mistakes during the ramp tests which probably have yielded inaccurate numbers. Reality is that the anaerobic TR workouts are hard, but I can complete them, so I suppose this is good. At 6’2", 197 lbs, I’m curious as to how many folks in my age cat and body type I can meet here trying to do the same thing as me.

1 Like