Rapha Festive 500 (2020)

I have never attempted this before but we having had no challenges/events this year it would be nice to have something to aim for.

This also coincides with my aim to increase base miles through winter this year.

So what plans would I want to be on to take me to Xmas Eve and the start. Currently into SSB MV2 and will do a build after that - Then maybe the Century plan.

17 weeks to go and working backwards Century is 8 weeks - General Build is 8 weeks so probably finish current plan and do 4 weeks of General Build and then Century

Any better ideas? I know Xmas seems a long way away but it is good to have to have a plan.

I’ve done F500 twice now. All of this assummes you are in the northern hemisphere; You can really do it during any of the training plans, because realistically you’re going to turn all of the rides into long z2 rides. So whether its a rest week, or you simply supplement a week of any block with it it doesn’t really have much impact and you are still such a long way out from northern hemi summer that its a nice break from the trainer.

I attempted it a couple of years ago but being in Scotland the weather was legitimately awful. I persevered through a few days of non-stop rain and ended up crashing on a sheet of ice on day 4 I think.

I always find it funny seeing people in the southern hemisphere doing it in the middle of their summer.

I did an unofficial festive 600 this summer. I didn’t want to do it during the winter as it would be very uncomfortable. I ended up doing 600km in 7 days. The breakdown is labeled on each ride below.

Total TSS: 1074

The training I did was: Sweetspot base low volume 1 & 2, short power build low volume, and century low volume. I dipped myself into the 15-17h/week range 3 weeks before the start of the event in order to get used to the stress mentally and physically. Otherwise, I usually ride about 10-12 hours per week.

1 Like

After a failed first attempt in 2019, I’ll be trying again this year. Scottish winter can make it tricky though so I’ll have my fingers crossed for decent conditions. Last year my water bottle got iced up!

The joys of an Australian summer at Christmas. We do the Festive 500 usually in sunshine and 30 degree weather. Hearing about the conditions that you guys have to do the Festive 500 in over in Scotland makes what we do sound like the Festive 50km. Tough as nails guys. Having to content with snow, rain and ice sheets just adds another layer to the event!

2 Likes

30 if you’re lucky, 40 if you’re less lucky!

hard to get long rides in before it gets too hot where I am. Very early starts required. Ive never attempted the 500 as I try to spend the time with the family. Have helped some mates do it by being a +1 on a long ride or 2 though. I might have a go this year on the TT bike, can bang out the kms a lot quicker on it!

1 Like