Question about rim crack (repair)

If youre asking if you can DIY this, you already know the answer!

Ever watch those home renovation shows that makes it look like anyone with a pulse and a hammer can flip a house in a few weeks? And then you try and knock out a small 1/2 bathroom and it takes you an entire month… same concept. CF repair looks trivial when you watch a youtube of someone that knows what theyre doing…

A new cf wheel is what, $5-600? youll pay that before you get past the waiting room in the local ER… That wheel is going to fail, and when it does so, its gonna be epic for everyone watching, except you!

1 Like

I appreciate all of this feedback and I’ve decided to try to be a reasonable adult and purchase a new wheel. Actually I’m going to wait until sales and buy a new wheel and in the meantime I can buy a fairly inexpensive aluminum dt swiss wheelset so I have a backup and can ride now.
I would feel like a complete fool if I hurt myself instead of spending a bit of money.
Thanks!

4 Likes

Make sure that new wheelset uses the same brake rotor type and freehub body as your current. That’d add a bit to the tab.

Good points for sure, thanks!

You probably got your answer by now. If it were me I wouldn’t ride it anymore. It is very risky. And I highly doubt that a little DIY project can fix this.

My advise replace it.

1 Like

Very late reply I know but I reckon you should give a go at repairing it yourself, maybe add a tyre-insert (eg; Cushcore, Rimpact etc…) for extra security.
Checkout this post for materials/info: Carbon Bike Repair - is it worth it? - #28 by FergalK

Not too late! I have the rim sitting in my garage because I couldn’t get myself to either buy a fancy new wheelset or throw this one away :slight_smile:
I have a crappy set I’ve been using on my bike in the meantime and I honestly can’t tell the difference.

Bear in mind that a lot of people get their carbon frames repaired so it’s a very common thing, don’t see why wheels would be any different : Carbon Bike Repair - is it worth it? - #20 by HMG

You should not get a carbon wheel repaired…

• It is extremely challenging and if done improperly can lead to catastrophic consequences.
  • It will leave your wheel unbalanced and you will feel it with every rotation of the wheel.

Most carbon repair places won’t touch carbon wheels.

1 Like