Q factor / stance width sensitivity and pelvic tilt

I’m really curious about how sensitive everyone is to stance width?

A friend of mine says he can’t feel any difference and it doesn’t bother him at all.

It bothers me to the point I swapped cranksets to a setup that (on paper at least) was 4mm narrower. That meant I gave up my power meter for comfort, a sensible but unfortunate compromise. I would happily go even narrower if I could.

I particularly find if I have a wider stance I cannot rotate my pelvis forward as effectively (think Steve Hogg’s photo of a short effective spine!).

Anyone else have similar sensitivities and any thoughts? Have not put this into bike mega fit as equipment dictates the base q-factor and I am pretty sure most people just hop on a bike and give it no thought at all.

Any thoughts on this or am I alone in super-sensitivity?

I do feel a change in q-factor too. But it doesn’t feel that different.
Going to a wider one I do notice a :

• small increase in power (strength)
  • the ability to get lower on the bike (more pelvic rotation)
  • not feeling as squeezed up (blood flow/breathing)

The opposite of you it seems.
I believe everyone’s body shape/skeleton is different,
everyone probably needs a different setup?

That said, I do believe that q-factor is an underrated thing.

Thanks for the response that is really interesting at how differently it impacts you (and I would happily swap outcomes to yours!).

I’ve got an old pair of Specialized road shoes that have loads of cleat adjustability. I’m going to have a play with cleat position on them on one of my bikes to see if I can get back onto a ‘wider’ q factor setup with same stance width. Given the relatively small differences in Q factor between road cranksets I think it might come down more to clearance to crankarms and the scope of positioning on the shoe more than the actual crankset width.

1 Like

I ride a fat bike a lot in the winter. That has a wide Q factor. And I have an old school airdyne bike with a very wide Q factor (although I don’t ride for long durations on the airdyne).

I don’t notice any consequences, other than a different feel of the bike. Although I’m not riding in a very aggressive position on any of my bikes, so maybe Q factor matters more if you’re in an aggressive aero position.

1 Like

I prefer a wider Q than most & I’m a pretty small guy at 5’5" with 28.5"ish inseam. See, I’m duck footed & my damn inner heels rub on crank arms & seat stays. No buenos. I finally found a solution, though. On my mtb, I’m running a Shimano XT crank with 172q but that’s still to narrow so I added 16mm pedal extenders which puts me at about 188, I reckon. No more heel rub & it feels normal to me.

1 Like