Protein shakes to do or not to do

Well I donā€™t know what youā€™re going to get on a forum, than self taught people and n=1? :smiley:

But yes, anything nutrition is worth researching yourself and making your own judgements on the actual science. On top of all the ā€œbro-scienceā€, thereā€™s a hell of a lot of flaky ā€œresearchā€, that a lot of ā€œdietsā€ rely on. Sigma nutrition podcast is my first check on most things!

Iā€™d also agree no harm in overshooting protein, and like I said earlier I do supplement mine. Itā€™s just the timing Iā€™d question whether thereā€™s really the scientific support for.

I donā€™t think people have ā€œoverdosedā€ on protein but most people get enough if not too much through normal foods. Too much protein has been shown to have possible negative consequences. Everyone on the protein hype trip. What people should be focused on is increasing fibre. Think itā€™s less than 10% of people get enough fibre in their diet but most people donā€™t worry about this. Quite bizarre.

About 7 or 8 years ago I was drinking protein shakes because I was lifting a lot and the prospect of eating another chicken breast was daunting. I think it helped with my overall macro profile and was part of an overall more attentive diet. I was able to get down to my lowest weight since high school, but it was unsustainable as I started biking more and lifting less. I ended up reverting to a higher carb diet which has devolved as I got better at baking bread/sweets.

Recently Iā€™ve been tracking my food intake more and realized Iā€™m struggling to get to 100g protein (my minimum goal) without resorting to meals consisting solely of chicken breast. I went ahead and placed an order for a couple different flavors of whey protein and am going to try to add a shake on most days. Hereā€™s to experimentation!

2 Likes

ā€œBased on current evidence, it appears clear that any effect of protein timing on muscle hypertrophy, if in fact there is one, is relatively smallā€

Maybe thatā€™s enough to ā€œproveā€ it, but for me that shows itā€™s questionable. However, I would 100% think that a shake (protein or recovery) will not do any harm, and whatever works for n=1, works for you!

Personally, Iā€™ve seen more benefits of fuelling workouts than recovery, and definitely have better recovery having upped my overall focus away from protein to carbs and protein, and sleep. But thatā€™s my own n=1

There is a place for protein shakes (i.e., if youā€™re on the go), but bear in mind that protein from ā€œreal foodā€ sources contains a whole host of vitamins/minerals/other goodies that shakes may be missing.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve got, on top of the various articles that support the notion that itā€™s overall protein in take that matters. Iā€™ve paid my money and made my choice.

Well, itā€™s important to know that protein isnā€™t a catch-all solution for people looking to add mass quickly. Most people donā€™t know how to take protein shakes properly, so it can even harm. There are different types of protein, you just need to read about them and pick the one you need. Just mix it with some low-sugar ingredients that will help you bulk up your muscle, not your belly.
As for good it or bad for your body, youā€™ll never know until you try. While youā€™re trying new shakes, keep a record of what youā€™re taking and how you feel.
Donā€™t forget that protein shakes are supplements and they should never replace real foods.

Nutrient timing to one side, why donā€™t you throw a 6am shake in the mix so youā€™re not going 14 hours without food before your lunch workout, and see if it helps

Protein powders are sweet, and stop me from craving junk so double win.

I mix it with oats/yoghurt etc rather than in a shake.

However, unnecessary from a nutrition stand point if you are getting enough from real food YMMV

Hereā€™s what I do:

After a long hard ride I donā€™t want to have regular food. All Iā€™m craving is my signature shake:

• Whole Milk
  • Banana or Mango
  • Ice
  • Whey Protein
  • Oats
  • Olive Oil

This brings me back and 1-2h later I have a regular meal.

Cheers!

1 Like

Any thoughts on whether a protein shake with water only is as effective as protein shake with carbs added? Does the body absorb protein as well if not mixed with carbs at the same time?

Depends if you drink it for recovery, or just for the protein/muscle gain?

For recovery, carbs are also important.

1 Like

This is super interesting and (I think) depends on the type of exercise being undertaken and the goals the athlete has.

My n of 1 experience is that 1.6g/Kg for cycling progression has been adequate for me (93 to 94kg weight) in supporting decent progress which I define for me as:

• slowly steady FTP increase
  • noticeable parallel muscular development of leg muscles
  • increase in ability to hold power longer (TTE?)

When I was lifting weights and my goals were size and strength I found a higher level was needed to support attaining my goals.

I once experimented with 2.5g/kg for a month ā€˜just to seeā€™

Apart from finding it REALLY hard to hit the target (I was 107kg at the time) it also gave me digestive ā€˜issuesā€™. I did see progress in size and strength relative to prior months (hard to say for sure if the extra protein was the reason or just coincidental) but it was unsustainable.

2 Likes