Prostate Cancer treatment choices and affects on cycling, post treatment

I hope you have a speedy recovery, Dave

Sorry to hear all that. A good buddy had the proton therapy at Mass General. He is not a bicyclist/athlete, but has had good results. He is 5 years out from his procedure. Assuming you are around 70, I would have to say if you are still on your bike, you are still ahead of the game compared to most sedentary folks. Take care, Dave

To wrap up this thread, I had a prostatectomy 8 weeks ago. FTP prior to surgery was 234 (3.2 Watts/Kg). Did absolutely nothing for 3 weeks, then got back on the trainer. I just went back to where I should have been on my TR program (Gravel Race, low volume) but dropped the power by 10-25% the first week and then slowly built back. On the sixth week post surgery did a local 35 mile gravel race (not much gravel, but fun) and beat my goals.

The last two weeks felt like I was close to full power and today did a ramp test. Tested at 233FTP - close enough as far as I’m concerned to say I’m back to full power. Legs and lungs are there, stomach still not perfect, but darn close.

Your results may vary, but Trainer Road is an incredible tool for fitness and judging fitness. Thanks to all!

3 Likes

I was treated for PCa in 2016 using HIFU, high intensity frequency ultrasound. All was good post-procedure until September. My PSA took a big jump that indicates a biochemical recurrence. I’m going in for a retest this week, since I did a 2.5 hour ride 48-hours before the last draw. Staying off the bike for at least 4 days and hope it’s an anomaly. :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

5 years ago, I had a ‘high’ PSA test. My doc went berserk. 'You need surgery! You need chemo! You need radiation!. I did some research to back up a hunch, and turns out that the PSA test doesn’t actually test for ‘cancer’. It tests for a ‘happy prostate’. If you do certain activities, you basically piss off your prostate, and the PSA test will show it. How else would a prostate react to being tossed in lycra, and bounced around for a couple of hours. It has every right to be pissed.

However, if you walk this road, you need to realize that it caries a risk.

My PSA has been ‘high’ on occasion because I refuse to stop riding pre-test. ( I know) So then have a high test, and then stop riding for a week (or more) and do the ‘diagnostic PSA’, and it’s safely normal.

So ‘high’ was in the 5 range (from memory, that’s high, but really ‘just’ high. Well, now it was 7. So I stopped riding and have been spending the time wishing my second test comes back ‘normal’. I did ride a couple brutal rides the days before, and rode the rotisserie mower, which is a painful experience, so I imagine (hope) it was just a really mad prostate. I mean, I’d be pissed too.

So over a week off, can’t wait to get ‘back in the saddle again’, and just hoping I can avoid the ‘trans-rectal ultrasound’. (It sounds so incredibly pleasant. I hope they use general for that experience)

I had a doc, over a decade ago, who said that there are two kinds of prostate problem. One, you’ll be dead by christmas, and the the second will kill you if you live long enough. Hah hah, but true. Thank ford I’m too old for the former, but…

If you have a borderline high PSA test, take a week off (do weights, and maybe walking on a treadmill) and consider it ‘recovery’, and do the diagnostic test and see what happens.

The side effects of the surgery is no joke. ED, and worse… Urinary incontinence is very common. But if it stays up, get the anal probe, and maybe an MRI.

Digital prostate exams are WORTHLESS! They only ‘feel’ a small fraction of the prostate, and unless it jumps out and screams “I’M SICK!!!”, they will likely miss anything there (if there is anything there).

This is ‘pre-treatment’ and is hoping to avoid more people being treated for something that is likely somewhat common among cyclists.

Ride safe, ride smart. (Me? I’m hoping the test comes back ‘good’… I mean, eventually it’ll kill me. That is certain. I’m just hoping it’s when I’m in my late eighties, with a 30 year old wife to take care of me :crazy_face:)

((Heck yeah, I’m concerned, but…))

UPDATE: Went from 7.1, to 7.0 after 10 days off. Not the result I was hoping for. Now contemplating the future, and what incredibly obnoxious tests I’ll be submitted to. I refuse to do surgery, and chemo. At least that is what the defiant and cracking voice in my head says today. He’ll see.

Every day means a new experience. To new experiences…