Pros using TR for their training

That’s the biggest benefit IMO. $20 a month to control the trainer…be able to use erg, not write down workouts on paper and get a stop watch out at 6am. Far far easier to do intervals and watch a movie when the phone is doing all the thinking for you.

8 Likes

i recently gave up erg mode after like 7 years of doing every workout that way. i used to be pretty bad at pacing but have gotten better over the years, and doing non-erg is a much better experience. But with zwift or just using my garmin, there are definitely other ways to do workouts besides TR, especially if you aren’t using the plans and specific workouts (which I’m not anymore)

1 Like

Yea I know. You can even program stuff yourself in garmin.

Still…the only way I’ll do indoor workouts is erg. Literally only having to worry about pedaling is a big advantage.

4 Likes

Your workouts are too complicated if you cant remember what the prescription is

2 Likes

this guy knows what he’s doing/talking about, he’s a top 10 overall half ironman!!

1 Like

Oh I CAN remember. I just dont want to if I’m not outside.

Much more enjoyable to let the computer do the work while I focus on a movie or show.

3 Likes

You don’t have to be very fast to coach professionals. I’d like to say I’m a pretty good coach :wink:

12 Likes

Pro coaching isn’t even a full time job is it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Quite a few pro coaches seem to successfully fit that work in with some sort of side gig - like being an Asst Professor - these days.

Quite a few pro cyclists have taken to coaching to supplement income - Ted King, Hannah Otto, and Dylan Johnson all come to mind. I’m sure there are many others.

1 Like

I highly doubt any professional rider uses TR as their main training platform and to be fair, TR isn’t aimed at professionals, so why would they.

3 Likes

Over here in the UK, former Pro Dean Downing (& his brother, former Pro Russ) have a nice coaching setup

As it says on their facebook, the 29th win of 2023 for their coached riders ticked by on 6 June.

They also run a popular Zwift ride: The Donny Chaingang (https://www.donnychaingang.com/).

It is based on a real life chain gang ride that I think must be probably close to holding the record for the most current & former British National Champions to be on the same training ride - 9 of them apparently.

1 Like

So you’re not looking at your phone (I am presuming you are running TR on the phone and Movie on something else), you could save yourself $15 a month and use TrainerDay, $8 a month by using Zwift (you don’t have to look at it, as you are watching a Movie), or free if you TP and RGT, $20 just to control the trainer, seems like a lot as there a several apps out there that will do the same AND none are more expensive

No, they’ve all got personal coaches that write their workouts and plans for them. They also all usually move to areas of the country (or world) that allow them to ride outside 99% of the time.

I’m sure many of them use TR as a workout player and to drive their trainers when the weather is bad though. I know I’ve seen Keegan do this on his insta during thunderstorms and stuff. But they would most likely be importing their workouts from Trainingpeaks (or similar) into TR.

1 Like

Interesting…I’ve never heard of trainerday…that looks promising.

What is TP and RGT?

I think I’d still use trainerroad in January/feb/march when I’m fully following a plan all week. But yes it seems silly during the nice months to pay trainerroad just for tue and thurs intervals…sometimes just 1 of those if I do a weekday groupride.

What about the forum? :wink:

1 Like

I use TrainerDay to run my workouts from TrainingPeaks, good little product, $50 a year, and I like the Erg mode is one click, simple workout editor that you can create a workout in, send it to the app or training peaks

I meant TrainingPeaks and RGT (Road Grand Tours) you use to be able to use RGT to play TrainingPeaks workouts for free, don’t know if that is still the case. So you could create the workouts in TD (free) , send to TP and do them in RGT for free

Oh I’m a bit confused. I’m looking at trainerdayd website…it seems to suggest it is an app that will control the trainer…is that not the case?

Yeah that correct, you can use the workout library and creator for free (so export to training peaks), if you want to also use the app, it’s $5 a month (I think, I pay yearly)

Ohhh I see, $5 to get the trainer control. Yea that’s probably a smart way to go for me for 80% of the year when group rides happen or I’m racing every weekend.

1 Like

Sorry, I just want to be clear here, I am not dissing Trainer Road or trying to advertise another product, just think there are other cheaper options out there if ALL you want is to control the trainer, TR has other features